9702_s17_qp_13, question 7, the answer is D
Thanks in advance
Last edited by ZedEmDoubleU; 2 years ago
hi_imcatherine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They’re both correct. Proportionality isn’t the same as an equals sign. Both v and v² are proportional to a.
Last edited by hi_imcatherine; 2 years ago
----_----
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
neither of your assumptions are correct. v^2 proportional to a (plus u^2) and v is proportional to a (plus u)
I think. idk i might be chatting ****
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ZedEmDoubleU)
Can someone please help me with a misunderstanding in equations of motions,
one of the equations is v^2 = u^2 + 2as meaning that v^2 ∝ a
but another equation, v = u + at, implies that v ∝ a
which one is correct?
s and t are not constant, and you're ignoring the offsets.
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it’s important to consider the fact that these proportionalities only hold in the context of their respective equations. And outside of suvat / uniform acceleration, you shouldn’t be thinking of their proportionality, but rather their relationship as derivative & integral of one another.

So v ∝ a when u is added, and when a is being multiplied by t. But as you spotted, there are different relationships between these variables in different equations.
mohamadjamil03
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Neither of those proportionality equations look right. Usually, when we talk about proportionality, we say the thing on the left is proportional to something on the right IF there is only one term on the right. Here's an example:

distance = speed * time, therefore distance is directly proportional to speed and distance is directly proportional to time.

However, as soon as I add something to the right side e.g. in 'v = u + at', you can't just say that v is proportional to a. Instead, you can subtract u from both sides and say something like: (v - u) is proportional to a.
Can someone please help me with a misunderstanding in equations of motions,
one of the equations is v^2 = u^2 + 2as meaning that v^2 ∝ a
but another equation, v = u + at, implies that v ∝ a
which one is correct?
ZedEmDoubleU
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
ohhh right
thx a lot

(Original post by mohamadjamil03)
Neither of those proportionality equations look right. Usually, when we talk about proportionality, we say the thing on the left is proportional to something on the right IF there is only one term on the right. Here's an example:

distance = speed * time, therefore distance is directly proportional to speed and distance is directly proportional to time.

However, as soon as I add something to the right side e.g. in 'v = u + at', you can't just say that v is proportional to a. Instead, you can subtract u from both sides and say something like: (v - u) is proportional to a.
ZedEmDoubleU
Rep:
?
so based on the variables im given, i use one or the other?

(Original post by RogerOxon)
s and t are not constant, and you're ignoring the offsets.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
so based on the variables im given, i use one or the other?
Yes.

The variables are not independent - if you vary a, with constant u and t, v and s must change, etc.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 2 years ago
ZedEmDoubleU
Rep:
?
can u explain what you mean by "derivative or integral of one other" ?

(Original post by hi_imcatherine)
I think it’s important to consider the fact that these proportionalities only hold in the context of their respective equations. And outside of suvat / uniform acceleration, you shouldn’t be thinking of their proportionality, but rather their relationship as derivative & integral of one another.

So v ∝ a when u is added, and when a is being multiplied by t. But as you spotted, there are different relationships between these variables in different equations.
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can u explain what you mean by "derivative or integral of one other" ?
Have you done any calculus yet? Most kids cover it in maths first, but I’ll briefly explain.

If you differentiate a graph that describes how displacement varies with time, the result is a new graph that describes the gradient of that graph. Since the gradient of a displacement-time graph is the velocity, the derivative (result of differentiation) of change in displacement with time is velocity.

You can do the same with a velocity-time graph, if you differentiate that function, you get a function of acceleration. ie. acceleration is the derivative of velocity. Integration is the opposite of differentiation, so velocity is the integral of acceleration, and displacement is the integral of velocity. These relationships are totally different to proportionality, but they’re much more useful to consider in stuff like the question you added.

I’m sorry that my first post was wrong!! It is definitely true that you can’t state proportionalities like that when there are other variables involved.
ZedEmDoubleU
Rep:
?
can someone attempt this, and explain please,

Thank you ALL for all the help you've provided
In addition to that can someone please answer this questionName:  yee.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  20.9 KB
9702_s17_qp_13, question 7, the answer is D
Thanks in advance
ZedEmDoubleU
Rep:
?
So you mean i should try the derivative or the integral to kind of find what the graph should look like?
yeah thats a great idea, i'll try it thanks

Have you done any calculus yet? Most kids cover it in maths first, but I’ll briefly explain.

If you differentiate a graph that describes how displacement varies with time, the result is a new graph that describes the gradient of that graph. Since the gradient of a displacement-time graph is the velocity, the derivative (result of differentiation) of change in displacement with time is velocity.

You can do the same with a velocity-time graph, if you differentiate that function, you get a function of acceleration. ie. acceleration is the derivative of velocity. Integration is the opposite of differentiation, so velocity is the integral of acceleration, and displacement is the integral of velocity. These relationships are totally different to proportionality, but they’re much more useful to consider in stuff like the question you added.

I’m sorry that my first post was wrong!! It is definitely true that you can’t state proportionalities like that when there are other variables involved.
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you mean i should try the derivative or the integral to kind of find what the graph should look like?
yeah thats a great idea, i'll try it thanks
Yes exactly. In the context of your question, you can think of the change in force as change in acceleration. And slowly increasing the braking force means slowly increasing the deceleration. You know that the acceleration/deceleration is the derivative of the speed-time graph, so you need to find the graph with a gradient that slow increases.

You can see why it’s D because the rate of change of speed (the gradient/deceleration) is slow at first, and increases with time.
hi_imcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
^All of that is because of F=ma. Force ∝ acceleration provided the mass doesn’t change
ZedEmDoubleU
Rep:
?
Yes exactly. In the context of your question, you can think of the change in force as change in acceleration. And slowly increasing the braking force means slowly increasing the deceleration. You know that the acceleration/deceleration is the derivative of the speed-time graph, so you need to find the graph with a gradient that slow increases.

You can see why it’s D because the rate of change of speed (the gradient/deceleration) is slow at first, and increases with time.
Yeaaa thx!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads