Want to do Medicine but hate A-Level Chemistry Watch

dana0104
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I want to study medicine at uni because I absolutely love medicine and have always wanted to be a doctor. However, now that I'm doing my GCSEs, I realised I absolutely HATE chemistry. I cannot stand it and I have felt so sleepy in every single lesson. I still love medicine but chemistry is the main requirement. Should I choose chemistry next year for my A levels and live with its pain just to reach my dream? Please I need advice, especially from someone who has been in a similar position or has had a similar experience.
GrapefruitBread
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not certain what the right answer is here, however I do feel there are a few things worth considering:

• First thing to establish here is that there are medical schools that will accept applicants who are not studying A-level chemistry - however they are few and far between and not taking it will severely limit your choices.
  • Secondly it may be worth thinking about why you don't like chemistry! Is it your teacher or do you maybe not feel challenged enough by it at GCSE? These are things that will change!
  • Thirdly it is worth remembering that the medicine admissions process and A-levels are challenging and at times exhausting. It may be difficult to push through taking subjects you don't like.
(Original post by dana0104)
So, I want to study medicine at uni because I absolutely love medicine and have always wanted to be a doctor. However, now that I'm doing my GCSEs, I realised I absolutely HATE chemistry. I cannot stand it and I have felt so sleepy in every single lesson. I still love medicine but chemistry is the main requirement. Should I choose chemistry next year for my A levels and live with its pain just to reach my dream? Please I need advice, especially from someone who has been in a similar position or has had a similar experience.
claudia.2802
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some universities may have a medicine course where you only have either bio or chem, but do an extra year to get the foundations you need to start year 1 medicine, but that will include chemistry, just without the a-level. (I know they do it for vetmed but you'll have to check medicine)
I definitely agree with GrapefruitBread- it is hard to motivate yourself to do well if you don't like an entire subject, and medicine does require top grades so if you don't think you'll be bothered to put the work in, then you may need to think of other ideas.
thatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Current final year medic - don't have a chemistry A level (did BTEC) but did an undergrad degree in Mol/Cell Bio (I didn't want to do medicine until half way through undergrad!).

I think more med schools are moving away from the chemistry requirement HOWEVER despite my degree my lack of A level did dramatically reduce my options when applying - I applied for the 2013 cycle and literally could apply to less than 10. Obviously things may have changed since then but If you can bear it I would recommend persevereing if you're able to put the work in and get the grade sheerly for this reason!
ChemicalGoat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I myself have always enjoyed Chemistry, so unfortunately I haven't been in your situation before
However, I do know one thing: I've been lucky enough to have enthusiastic teachers throughout my education. I'm currently finishing my final topic for chemistry, the board I'm doing being OCR B (Salters), which is actually a really interesting specification.

I recommend following Grapefruits advice, I struggle a lot when my teachers aren't helpful, so its good to get an idea of what the teachers are like at the college/sixth form you're applying to! Perhaps attend welcome evenings?

Either way, my college allowed students who start their A levels to change their subjects within the first few months, as most people find the A Levels for subjects they had enjoyed at GCSE too stressful/confusing. Hope this helped you, and if you do end up doing chemistry I'd be happy to help you to the best of my abilities even when I'm at Uni
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you dislike chemistry but do well in it, you should do the A level to keep your options open. It's annoying but sometimes you have to do things you're not keen on in order to increase your chances of attaining your long term goals - this is especially true in a medical career.

The good news is that you won't encounter any pure chemistry in your medical degree or whilst working as a doctor.
dana0104
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much! You honestly gave me a little hope. Unfortunately, I already know who's gonna teach me next year and she's excellent yeah, but not motivational enough. At the moment none of my teachers are motivational, they're actually the opposite lol.
But anyways thanks for your suggestion and your kind gesture I will consider it in the future! Cheers xx
(Original post by ChemicalGoat)
I myself have always enjoyed Chemistry, so unfortunately I haven't been in your situation before
However, I do know one thing: I've been lucky enough to have enthusiastic teachers throughout my education. I'm currently finishing my final topic for chemistry, the board I'm doing being OCR B (Salters), which is actually a really interesting specification.

I recommend following Grapefruits advice, I struggle a lot when my teachers aren't helpful, so its good to get an idea of what the teachers are like at the college/sixth form you're applying to! Perhaps attend welcome evenings?

Either way, my college allowed students who start their A levels to change their subjects within the first few months, as most people find the A Levels for subjects they had enjoyed at GCSE too stressful/confusing. Hope this helped you, and if you do end up doing chemistry I'd be happy to help you to the best of my abilities even when I'm at Uni
ChemicalGoat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much! You honestly gave me a little hope. Unfortunately, I already know who's gonna teach me next year and she's excellent yeah, but not motivational enough. At the moment none of my teachers are motivational, they're actually the opposite lol.
But anyways thanks for your suggestion and your kind gesture I will consider it in the future! Cheers xx
Aw, you're welcome! :thumbsup: Glad I helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
16.35%
The paper was reasonable (191)
51.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
21.45%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads