matrices problem Watch

bigmansouf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Question:

Under a certain transformation the image of the point (x,y) is (X,Y) where \begin{pmatrix} X\\  Y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4\\  2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} . This transformation maps any point on the line  y = mx onto another point on the line  y=mx. Find the two possible values of m.

My attempt:
I tried to look at the the effect of the transformation on the unit square  \begin{pmatrix} X\\  Y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4\\  2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 &1  &1  &0 \\  0 &0  & 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 &1  &5  &4 \\  0 &2  & 5 & 3 \end{pmatrix}

Since it says y= mx
i thought it had something to do with reflection in the line y=mx where m = tan \alpha
I have tried to calculate the angle  \alpha between i.e ( 1,0) and its image (1,2) or (0,1) (4,3) but it could not figure it out.

I would like to know if my approach is wrong or right?
Please can i have help on finding the two values of m
Last edited by bigmansouf; 3 weeks ago
RDKGames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bigmansouf)
Question:

Under a certain transformation the image of the point (x,y) is (X,Y) where \begin{pmatrix} X\\  Y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4\\  2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} . The transformation maps any point on the line  y = mx . Find the two possible values of m.

My attempt:
I tried to look at the the effect of the transformation on the unit square  \begin{pmatrix} X\\  Y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4\\  2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 &1  &1  &0 \\  0 &0  & 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}

Since it says y= mx
i thought it had something to do with reflection in the line y=mx where m = tan \alpha
I have tried to calculate the angle  \alpha between i.e ( 1,0) and its image (1,2) or (0,1) (4,3) but it could not figure it out.

Just evaluate

\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4 \\ 2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ mx \end{pmatrix}

Though the question doesn't really make sense. It doesn't give any conditions to work with. Is it meant to say that every point on this line maps to itself?
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Just evaluate

\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4 \\ 2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x \\ mx \end{pmatrix}

Though the question doesn't really make sense. It doesn't give any conditions to work with. Is it meant to say that every point on this line maps to itself?
I edited it to include the part i missed

'This transformation maps any point on the line y = mx onto another point on the line y=mx'
RDKGames
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I edited it to include the part i missed

'This transformation maps any point on the line y = mx onto another point on the line y=mx'
Cool, so just use the fact that (Y,X) lies on y=mx... so Y=mX must hold.
Ryanzmw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Question:

Under a certain transformation the image of the point (x,y) is (X,Y) where \begin{pmatrix} X\\  Y \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 4\\  2 & 3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} . This transformation maps any point on the line  y = mx onto another point on the line  y=mx. Find the two possible values of m.

My attempt:

Since it says y= mx

Isn't this equivalent to finding the eigenvectors of the matrix?

Because then if v is an eigenvector of M, Mv = kv, i.e. the transformation under M is colinear to the vector you started with, which is essentially what this mapping line to line business is saying. If you're not sure how to calculate eigenvectors of a matrix, there is a wealth of information line describing this process.

Spoiler:
Show
The eigenvectors are (1,1)^T, (-2,1)^T so the lines would be y = x and y = -1/2 * x (I think)
Last edited by Ryanzmw; 3 weeks ago
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
 \begin{pmatrix}

X\\ 

Y

\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}

1 &4 \\ 

2& 3

\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}

X\\ 

Y

\end{pmatrix}

I learnt that the basics of egienvectors is  A\vec{v}=\lambda \vec{v}
 A\vec{v} - \lambda I \vec{v} = 0
 (A - \lambda I) \vec{v} = 0
 det(A - \lambda I) \vec{v}=0

\lambda \begin{pmatrix}

x\\ 

y\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}

1 &4 \\ 

2& 3

\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}

x\\ 

y

\end{pmatrix}

\left (\left \begin{pmatrix} 1 &4 \\  2& 3 \end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix} \lambda & 0 \\  0 & \lambda \end{pmatrix}  \right )\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix}=0

therefore
  ((1-\lambda )(3-\lambda )-8)=0
  \lambda =5  or \lambda = -1

I sub each  \lambda into the matrix;
  \begin{pmatrix} 1-\lambda & 4\\  2 & 3- \lambda \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} = 0

when  \lambda =5
 \begin{pmatrix} -4 & 4\\  2 & -2 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} = 0

-4x+4y=0
 2x-2y=0
thus y=x

when  \lambda = -1
 \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 4\\  2 & 4 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} = 0
 2x +4y =0
  2x+ 4y = 0
thus   y = -\frac{1}{2}x

Did i follow the right approach?

(Original post by Ryanzmw)
Isn't this equivalent to finding the eigenvectors of the matrix?

Because then if v is an eigenvector of M, Mv = kv, i.e. the transformation under M is colinear to the vector you started with, which is essentially what this mapping line to line business is saying. If you're not sure how to calculate eigenvectors of a matrix, there is a wealth of information line describing this process.

Spoiler:
Show

The eigenvectors are (1,1)^T, (-2,1)^T so the lines would be y = x and y = -1/2 * x (I think)
Last edited by bigmansouf; 3 weeks ago
Ryanzmw
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yep. Do you see how this relates to the question?
 \begin{pmatrix}

X\\ 

Y

\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}

1 &4 \\ 

2& 3

\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}

X\\ 

Y

\end{pmatrix}

I learnt that the basics of egienvectors is  A\vec{v}=\lambda \vec{v}
 A\vec{v} - \lambda I \vec{v} = 0
 (A - \lambda I) \vec{v} = 0

\lambda \begin{pmatrix}

x\\ 

y\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}

1 &4 \\ 

2& 3

\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}

x\\ 

y

\end{pmatrix}

\left (\left \begin{pmatrix} 1 &4 \\  2& 3 \end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix} \lambda & 0 \\  0 & \lambda \end{pmatrix}  \right )\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix}=0

therefore
  ((1-\lambda )(3-\lambda )-8)=0
  \lambda =5  or \lambda = -1

I sub each  \lambda into the matrix;
  \begin{pmatrix} 1-\lambda & 4\\  2 & 3- \lambda \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} = 0

when  \lambda =5
 \begin{pmatrix} -4 & 4\\  2 & -2 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} = 0

-4x+4y=0
 2x-2y=0
thus y=x

when  \lambda = -1
 \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 4\\  2 & 4 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x\\  y \end{pmatrix} = 0
 2x +4y =0
  2x+ 4y = 0
thus   y = -\frac{1}{2}x

Did i follow the right approach?
begbie68
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And the result in post#1 shows one of these:

the third column is transformed from column(1,1) to column(5,5) ... ie a point on the line y=x, (1,1) gets transformed to another point on the line y=x, (5,5) ...
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
yes i do thank you
(Original post by Ryanzmw)
Yep. Do you see how this relates to the question?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?