The Student Room Group
My friend says a very low level.
Reply 2
"he'd could probs cope for as, not so well for a2 and if he did it at uni he'd be in trouble." - a level economicsy person.
Reply 3
justjoshing
I always faniced doing an A level in Economics, but i only Have a D in GCSE maths which put me off:frown: .I was looking through a AS/A2 economics revision book today and it did not seem that much math was applied apart from just basic stuff about supply and demand and markets ECT.

Anyone here taking A levels Economics who could Advise me?:smile:

I took A levels Economics and I can safely tell you that you can deal with the simple calculations for the subject. The 'hardest' calculation question I encountered is one that deals with percentage, which is in truth not difficult at all!:smile:
Barely anything at all for AS!

Much more at University i've heard though
Reply 5
Both my brothers did A-level economics (I never did) after having only got C's in GCSE maths. They now both study it at Uni, so must have really liked it, and did reasonably well in it. However, they now (particularly the older one who is in 2nd year) are struggling with the maths for degree-level Economics.

In short, you'll be fine, but won't be if you take it any further.
Reply 6
justjoshing
Anyone here taking A levels Economics who could Advise me?:smile:

The most difficult Maths that you're likely to encounter is calculations involving percentage change.
Reply 7
No maths is needed at all
They just want you to have it because if you want to carry on with it at uni they will require you to have maths at a-level or a good undertsanding of maths (couldn't help myself! there was a thread on it earlier)
Reply 8
If you can work with percentage changes, and know how to read a graph, then you should be fine.
Reply 9
Is economics any decent? Was thinking of doing it at AS.
You will however need to re-take your maths GCSE to go to university, regardless of the course (all unis ask for a C in maths GCSE)
adam_1234
Is economics any decent? Was thinking of doing it at AS.

Yes, it is a great subject* and a decent A-level.

*Clear bias here. :wink:
basic arithmetic,. you don't need any real maths for economics unless you are taking it for degree (and even my 1st year econ modules dont need any!) you'll be fine, as it is pretty much an arts rather than a science until uni.
Literally none...although not at uni.
Reply 14
I don't think it will make a big difference. You do have to do stuff like percentage chance in price of good x over percentage change in demand for good y etc, but that's not very hard.
Reply 15
Nothing that isn't covered by, like... SATs-level Maths.
year 5 maths knowledge is essential

Latest