Medicine degree Watch

lourencobarber
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm looking for an university that accepts a 43 years old student to take a medicine degree with foundation year.
Last edited by lourencobarber; 4 weeks ago
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Age itself isn't a barrier to studying medicine. There are plenty of mature students who do medicine. It's slightly more unusual for people at a similar age to you, but not unheard of.

Do you meet the requirements for medicine with a foundation year? This is usually either for those who have the correct A-level grades, but "wrong" subjects, or those who have the correct subjects but lower grades and meet certain "widening participation" criteria / contextual criteria.

What's your background / your qualifications? Have you done any recent study?
lourencobarber
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Currently, I'm studying Trichology with The Institute of Trichologists in London. Trichology is a branch of medicine, it studies hair and scalp diseases and disorders. It is a two-year course. My goal is to perform hair transplants, I do need a medecine degree to train surgical hair transplant.I have GCSEs, hold a level two diploma in hairdressing and Beauty Therapy. I also attended a fast track in colouring, cutting and shaving to upgrade my skills. I have 30 years of experience in hairdressing. I hold an English entry 3 certificate. For a living, I run a barber shop. I understand that some university degrees have foundation year to prepare students that have no A levels, is that right?
Last edited by lourencobarber; 4 weeks ago
nexttime
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lourencobarber)
Currently, I'm studying Trichology with The Institute of Trichologists in London. Trichology is a branch of medicine, it studies hair and scalp diseases and disorders. It is a two-year course. My goal is to perform hair transplants, I do need a medecine degree to train surgical hair transplant.I have GCSEs, hold a level two diploma in hairdressing and Beauty Therapy. I also attended a fast track in colouring, cutting and shaving to upgrade my skills. I have 30 years of experience in hairdressing. I hold an English entry 3 certificate. For a living, I run a barber shop. I understand that some university degrees have foundation year to prepare students that have no A levels, is that right?
So... you want to go through 6 years med school costing like £60k (plus 6 years lost earnings, which is presumably much more), and given that gives you zero relevant surgical experience I assume you need plastic surgery training? Which takes four additional years to even begin, and 10 years to complete... just to do hair transplants?!

In case serious: your background is very atypical and I would contact unis directly. Medicine is a highly academic degree - to be undertaking it such a long time out of school would be a huge challenge, let alone for someone who had no qualifications to begin with!
Laycity
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just open a wig shop, they are excellent quality these days. Maybe use the hair you sweep up?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads