Cheap lentil hummus recipe Watch

Imilla
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I cook constantly because I'm studying in Argentina and there aren't that many cheap ready meals here. So, I thought I'd share this recipe of mine to see what you lot think.

It's a kind of hummus, but made with lentils instead of chickpeas. I think it's a great recipe for students because the ingredients are pretty cheap and it's really quick and easy. Using lentils instead of chickpeas means you don't have to soak anything overnight. Using cooking oil instead of olive oil is loads cheaper but tastes just fine. I've skipped out the pine nuts lots of hummus recipes tell you to use because, although they're delicious sprinkled on top, they're really expensive. I also use a spoon of sesame seeds instead of tahini, which can be expensive and hard to find. This recipe also happens to be vegan.

Despite the slightly different ingredients, it still has that creamy, nutty and citrusy taste that regular hummus has. I know hummus is pretty cheap in UK supermarkets, but I often find it's watery and doesn't have much flavour unless you get the more expensive brands. Let me know what you think!

You need:
150g dried green lentils
2 cloves garlic
Half a lemon
Sesame seeds
Salt
Cooking oil

Blender
Pan and cooker
Knife

1) Boil the green lentils in plenty of water until they're pretty soft - takes about 20min with the lentils I get here.
2) While the lentils are on, peel and roughly chop the garlic cloves.
3) When the lentils are ready, drain them thoroughly and put them in the blender. Add the chopped garlic, half a teaspoon of salt, 100ml of cooking oil and a tablespoon of sesame seeds. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon - you can just squeeze with your hands, you don't need a juicer.
4) Mix the ingredients together in the blender until they make a smooth paste. If it looks too dry and crumbly, add more oil.
5) Taste it - if necessary, add a bit more salt or lemon. You can play around with different flavourings and seasonings if you like, such as chilli, ground cumin or paprika.
6) Enjoy! Works great on sandwiches with some grated carrot, or as a snack with crackers.

This recipe makes enough for a couple of days of sandwiches. It will keep for a few days, but I wouldn't leave it more than four or five days.

Really, these quantities are guidelines - if you want it thick and stodgy, use less oil or more lentils. If you want it runnier, use more oil and/or lemon juice.
Doublletrouble
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What do you study?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Imilla
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Masters in Political and Social Theory. Nothing to do with the food! Hah.
(Original post by Doublletrouble)
What do you study?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (52)
5.7%
Fairly positive (288)
31.58%
Just another year... (355)
38.93%
Is it 2020 yet? (217)
23.79%

Watched Threads

Latest