Alkanes with an excess of chlorine in the presence of UV light

Watch this thread
brettsullivan
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have a question on free radical reactions.

-why the propagation step happens. With propane and longer chained hydrocarbons anyways.
With propane I have been told that the species produced in the propagation step is C3H6Cl2.
^Why does this happen and why is it this specific species?

A bit off topic but why does this reaction not happen with other halogens, and why is it specific to chlorine?

I am an A level student so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett
ThatGuy107
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
The CL-CL bond is weak, and therefore the UV has sufficient energy to cause homolytic fission of this bond, forming 2 Cl free radicals.
Jfueofkrnb
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Free radical substitution reactions can occur with any chlorine or bromine . Eg. Chlorination of methane, or bromination of ethane. This is when a hydrogen from a hydrocarbon chain is replaced with Cl or Br. Multiple substitutions can occur producing many products. If enough halogen is present, all the hydrogens in the hydrocarbon chain can be replaced.

For example: chlorination of methane
Chlorine is a diatomic molecules so exists as Cl2
UV light causes homolytic fission of a halogen molecule. This is when the covalent bond breaks and each atom receives one of the electrons from the covalent bond - this forms radicals.

Initiation Cl2 —> Cl• + Cl•
Propagation CH4 + Cl• —> CH3• + HCl
CH3• + Cl2 —> CH3Cl + Cl•
Termination 2Cl• —> Cl2
2CH3• —> C2H6
CH3• + Cl• —> CH3Cl
Here a mixture of products is produced by random collisions between radicals (radicals are very reactive)
The desirable product is CH3Cl

I hope this makes sense!
Last edited by Jfueofkrnb; 3 years ago
ChemicalGoat
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,
I'm in my final year of college so hopefully I can help

For the first part, are you taking this out of an exam question, or just generally confused? Fine for either, it'd just help me with explaining if you have an exam question for me to read through.

As to why this only happens with chlorine - It doesn't! (From what I know) Other halogens can form radicals, they just require more energy to break bonds (In other words, a higher frequency of UV light) then chlorine. I believe fluorine radicals can form too, but due to the alkane in your question only being in a solution of excess chlorine and not fluorine, only chlorine radicals form.

I believe this is correct, but please correct me if I'm wrong, radicals aren't my strongest topic in Chemistry and I don't remember encountering a chemistry question like this before
(Original post by brettsullivan)
I have a question on free radical reactions.

-why the propagation step happens. With propane and longer chained hydrocarbons anyways.
With propane I have been told that the species produced in the propagation step is C3H6Cl2.
^Why does this happen and why is it this specific species?

A bit off topic but why does this reaction not happen with other halogens, and why is it specific to chlorine?

I am an A level student so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads