difference between inbreeding and interbreeding? (biology a level) Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, i'm confused on the difference between inbreeding and interbreeding? So it interbreeding when members of different species try to breed (as surely if they're different offspring they can't produce fertile offspring)? Is inbreeding just breeding between two similar (genetically) parents i.e. if the founder effect occurred and the population had a small gene pool, if indiviudals within this group bred, would this be inbreeding? google has very different and confusing definitions of each.
umbrellala
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hi, i'm confused on the difference between inbreeding and interbreeding? So it interbreeding when members of different species try to breed (as surely if they're different offspring they can't produce fertile offspring)? Is inbreeding just breeding between two similar (genetically) parents i.e. if the founder effect occurred and the population had a small gene pool, if indiviudals within this group bred, would this be inbreeding? google has very different and confusing definitions of each.
Yes that's right. Inbreeding is between closely related (ie. very genetically similar) animals
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by umbrellala)
Yes that's right. Inbreeding is between closely related (ie. very genetically similar) animals
thanks. so is interbreeding just breeding between members of two different species?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
thanks. so is interbreeding just breeding between members of two different species?
Different species cannot, as a rule, produce offspring. Very closely related species sometimes can produce viable offspring, but it's usually infertile. Common examples would be a donkey-horse cross (mule/hinny) and lion/tiger (ligress/tiglion depending on parental sex).

Inbreeding is nothing to do with different species. It's to do with closely-genetically related individuals breeding. In human beings, first cousins who produce offspring are (legally) inbreeding.
Last edited by Reality Check; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?