The Student Room Group

How to "actively" revise? (Help me please)

I always hear this phrase, and I know what it is, but I don't really know how to do it. I always end up reading through course content and getting bored, even though I like the subjects I've picked. I think my revision technique just isn't very good and I'm not taking the info in properly.

My main issues with each subject;

Psychology - names of Studies (and what they were)
Politics - theorists' names and some theories
English Lit. - character names & some quotes

there's a theme to the above as u can see, and I wondered if my revision technique is the reason for this. please help!!
Quizlets are amazing to learn key thinkers, especially for politics! I use them for politics and sociology (where we have to know hundreds of sociologists) and quizlets have really helped me quickly!
My main method of active revision was flashcards. You have to think while writing the questions and answers and then you have to actively think when you quiz yourself on the answers. And they're reusable too!

One of my favourite methods for psychology was to make a mind map of all the details of a study (e.g. Have subsections on the participants, aim, procedure, main evaluation points, etc.). Then cover up the mind map and try to recreate it from memory. Compare the two and if you missed any big details or evaluation points then make sure to revise that.

A big way of active revision is also past questions. Either fully writing them or just planning them without notes is a helpful way to revise. They're harder to mark yourself because all your subjects seem to have subjective marking for the most part but you can always ask your teacher to go over them and mark them for you! Similarly for psychology I planned and memorised essay plans for big questions I expected to come up. For example "Evaluate Sherif's Study (8)" and I would plan the easiest to remember points where I could fit the most AO1 and AO3 in as possible and then cram them into my head. This may not work for everyone but by god it saved me in the exams.

There are other little things you could do like make up songs or pneumonics about certain topics. We had GRAVE and SCOUT for psychology which were helpful!

Hope I've helped and please feel free to ask any more questions!
Reply 3
Original post by eashdown17
Quizlets are amazing to learn key thinkers, especially for politics! I use them for politics and sociology (where we have to know hundreds of sociologists) and quizlets have really helped me quickly!

I downloaded this app the other day and it's very helpful so far! Thank u for this suggestion.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
My main method of active revision was flashcards. You have to think while writing the questions and answers and then you have to actively think when you quiz yourself on the answers. And they're reusable too!

One of my favourite methods for psychology was to make a mind map of all the details of a study (e.g. Have subsections on the participants, aim, procedure, main evaluation points, etc.). Then cover up the mind map and try to recreate it from memory. Compare the two and if you missed any big details or evaluation points then make sure to revise that.

A big way of active revision is also past questions. Either fully writing them or just planning them without notes is a helpful way to revise. They're harder to mark yourself because all your subjects seem to have subjective marking for the most part but you can always ask your teacher to go over them and mark them for you! Similarly for psychology I planned and memorised essay plans for big questions I expected to come up. For example "Evaluate Sherif's Study (8)" and I would plan the easiest to remember points where I could fit the most AO1 and AO3 in as possible and then cram them into my head. This may not work for everyone but by god it saved me in the exams.

There are other little things you could do like make up songs or pneumonics about certain topics. We had GRAVE and SCOUT for psychology which were helpful!

Hope I've helped and please feel free to ask any more questions!

Lots of good ideas here, ty. What are GRAVE & SCOUT out of curiosity?
Original post by ThatJosh
I downloaded this app the other day and it's very helpful so far! Thank u for this suggestion.

Lots of good ideas here, ty. What are GRAVE & SCOUT out of curiosity?

No problem!

They're basically a way of memorising how to evaluate studies and theories in exams. So GRAVE is for studies:
Generalisability (of the sample, methods, environment)
Reliability (how easily it could be replicated, have similar studies found the same thing)
Applicability (can it be applied to everyday life?)
Validity (internal, ecological, temporal validity, etc.)
Ethics (does it follow the ethical guidelines? If not, is it justifiable? Have any other studies done the same but more ethically e.g. Milgram vs Burger)

SCOUT is for theories:
Supporting (Any studies or evidence from real life that supports it?)
Conflicting (Same as above but conflicting evidence)
Other theories (Is this theory better than another theory? Worse than others? Why?)
Usefulness (how useful is it for explaining/solving issues in society?)
Testability (how easy would the theory be to test/make studies for?)

If you can include a chunk of these in essays with a point and counter in each paragraph you'll ace it honestly.

Quick Reply

Latest