moonlight98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Never seen an shm question like this before but I think it’s supposed to be one of the trickier ones. I’ve tried drawing a diagram to help but it’s not getting me anywhere. Help pleaseee thanks

The level of the sea in a harbour is assumed to rise and fall with simple harmonic motion. On a certain day low tide occurs at 07.00 hours when the depth of the sea will be 5 m. The next high tide will occur at 13.15 hours when the depth of the sea will be 17 m. A ship wishes to enter the harbour that day and needs a minimum sea depth of 6.5 m.

Calculate, to the nearest minute, the earliest time it can enter the harbour on this day and the time by which it must leave.
moonlight98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
bump
username3249896
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Find the amplitude
Find the angular frequency
Write an equation for the depth of the sea in terms of time
Solve an equation
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bumping a thread after a few minutes is counter productive, it's still on the first page and people will just assume it's been answered.

'assume SHM' means the depth is a sine function of time
you can calculate the mean depth from the high and low tide levels given... the period is double the elapsed time between low tide and the next high tide.

basically you have to do this... https://www.onlinemathlearning.com/s...-equation.html

then find the solution for y>= 6.5
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%