The Student Room Group

People petition McDonald's to bring back plastic straws

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wōden
Alternatively they could just drink it without a straw. Who over the age of 12 needs to drink with a straw anyway?

Quite a lot of disabled people actually. It's why I'm against a ban on plastic straws, they're the only type that are hot liquid safe (disabled people still want a cup of tea), positionable and not a safety hazard. Glass and metal aren't good if you have spasms, paper is a choking hazard and silicone isn't positionable.
Reply 21
Original post by katf
Quite a lot of disabled people actually. It's why I'm against a ban on plastic straws, they're the only type that are hot liquid safe (disabled people still want a cup of tea), positionable and not a safety hazard. Glass and metal aren't good if you have spasms, paper is a choking hazard and silicone isn't positionable.

Okay, fair enough for disabled people. But 99% of people are perfect capable of drinking something without a straw, so I really don't understand what they are whining about.
Just don't go to McDonalds, better for your health and wallet, solved.
Reply 23
Not really. They require cleaning between each use, often go moldy and there isn't a reusable straw in existence that's positionable and not a safety hazard. Silicone isn't positionable.

Jessica Kellgren-Fozard did a video on them.
Original post by ThomH97
Almost 40,000 people have signed a petition asking McDonald's to bring back plastic straws. Obviously paper straws aren't nearly as effective as plastic ones (if you had to choose a material that needed to keep its integrity when wet, only an idiot chooses paper over plastic), but they are also much less harmful to the environment (if you had to choose a material to ingest, only an idiot chooses plastic over paper). However, for a lot of people, the trade off in usability for the environment is too much, as they find they can't actually consume their drink, or they end up slurping parts of their degraded straw.

Clearly a lot of the reasons for this are questionable at best and have been widely mocked and derided, but there is a point of interest for all of us - to what extent do we sacrifice convenience or even utility because people aren't recycling the recyclable? The main problem isn't from people using plastic straws, it is that people aren't recycling them when they clearly can.

First time i got a paper straw in maccas was a while back in central london somewhere and i got a coke and it was fine. I was like ah how nice of them. But recently visited my local mcdonalds and got a milkshake. Holy jesus it was impossible to drink a milkshake with that straw. They work well for liquid drinks tho
Reply 25
Original post by Wōden
Okay, fair enough for disabled people. But 99% of people are perfect capable of drinking something without a straw, so I really don't understand what they are whining about.

Around 20% of people have a disability of some kind.
I work at maccies and whenever i have a drink on my break with the straws they always hold up find for me. Plus, if your straw gets soggy, just grab two so you can change it out. It’s what I do at wetherspoons whenever i get a drink there
'Paper straws and milkshakes don't go together'

Neither does the plastic that's found it's way into the fish that just happen to be in those Fillet-O-Fish burgers you so crave.
Reply 28
Original post by katf
Around 20% of people have a disability of some kind.

Most disablities still do not preclude one from drinking without a straw.
The fact that people say they want to help the environment but when it causes them the slightest inconvenience they're against it shocks me. While swapping out plastic straws doesn't seem like a big deal on the surface, for a massive company like MacDonalds, that's probably millions of straws a year that don't get dumped in landfill or the ocean.

If it bothers you that much, bring your own bloody straw.
Reply 30
Original post by barnetlad
Plastic straws should not return at McDonalds, indeed they should be outlawed, along with all forms of single use plastic. I would like to see these fast 'food' places restricted in what they can sell and when they can open, at least to children, as a step towards tackling obesity.

We will have less convenience if fish are killed by plastic and the oceans polluted. As long as everyone is similarly losing a bit of convenience and people are not being singled out, seems fair enough to me.

A spanner in the works. Disability. I need a lot of single use plastic things. My support bandages come in plastic and are themselves a plastic blend. I take medication in blister packs. Some of that is opioids so definitely can't be in a bottle.

Sometimes my hands don't want to cooperate so I cook with prechopped veg from plastic bags. Some disabled people need plastic straws. Some need incontinence pads. Syringes come in plastic.

It wouldn't just be a minor inconvenience for people with disabilities. Before a lot of single use plastic, we died.
The paper straws are rubbish and changing them to paper whilst keeping the lids of the drinks plastic kind of invalidates the point of replacing them anyway. I don’t like to get a taste of paper when I sip the milkshake through the straw and I have no choice but to use straw because of a dental condition
Original post by ThomH97
Almost 40,000 people have signed a petition asking McDonald's to bring back plastic straws. Obviously paper straws aren't nearly as effective as plastic ones (if you had to choose a material that needed to keep its integrity when wet, only an idiot chooses paper over plastic), but they are also much less harmful to the environment (if you had to choose a material to ingest, only an idiot chooses plastic over paper). However, for a lot of people, the trade off in usability for the environment is too much, as they find they can't actually consume their drink, or they end up slurping parts of their degraded straw.

Clearly a lot of the reasons for this are questionable at best and have been widely mocked and derided, but there is a point of interest for all of us - to what extent do we sacrifice convenience or even utility because people aren't recycling the recyclable? The main problem isn't from people using plastic straws, it is that people aren't recycling them when they clearly can.
Reply 32
Original post by Wōden
Most disablities still do not preclude one from drinking without a straw.

More require a straw than you might think.
Should be greatful you're even allowed McDonalds with these green nazis in power...
Original post by ThomH97

I'm glad McDonald's made that change
Original post by Notoriety
1/3 of the drink left and suddenly I am eating paper, like I am back in reception class.

Clearly. Do you not know how to sip from a cup?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending