The Student Room Group

I feel Terrible!

Long story short, all of my school friends graduated this year and will be soon off to study in universities.

A little throwback is that I was completing my IGCSEs last year so I got held a grade back. though I passed tenth grade with all my friends but i left school after that. IGCSEs tbh was a new thing for my parents so I would've been in 12th but I'm not, I'm in 11th. I'm preparing for my AS exams for October and then next year, I'll give my a2s and I feel absolutely terrible because I want to go to university too. My father did suggest a university which I'll need to travel to study for, but it is impossible as I need a friend or someone to go with. He can't risk letting me travel alone.

what can I do to relax my nerves and not cry everytime I see my friends posting about their happy graduation? I absolutely feel terrible. I'm self studying for AS too and thank God, I'm doing well. But I need urgent help so that I don't overthink and get myself sick.
Original post by ThinkerToot
Long story short, all of my school friends graduated this year and will be soon off to study in universities.

A little throwback is that I was completing my IGCSEs last year so I got held a grade back. though I passed tenth grade with all my friends but i left school after that. IGCSEs tbh was a new thing for my parents so I would've been in 12th but I'm not, I'm in 11th. I'm preparing for my AS exams for October and then next year, I'll give my a2s and I feel absolutely terrible because I want to go to university too. My father did suggest a university which I'll need to travel to study for, but it is impossible as I need a friend or someone to go with. He can't risk letting me travel alone.

what can I do to relax my nerves and not cry everytime I see my friends posting about their happy graduation? I absolutely feel terrible. I'm self studying for AS too and thank God, I'm doing well. But I need urgent help so that I don't overthink and get myself sick.

Don't worry too much - focus on completing your AS and A2 exams first. Whilst it can be sad that you won't be graduating the same time as your friends, everyone has their own path to take in terms of their future. Be happy for your friends and use university and your career plans as something to motivate you in your studies.

When you come around to applying for university, are you intending to commute to university or move away? You don't need to know people prior to starting university as most students will meet new people and make new friends there. Is this what you meant by saying you "need a friend...to go with"?
Reply 2
It's actually that I just need a female friend (as I'm a female) whom I can comfortably travel with. As I can't travel alone. I guess that's all. I just need some "friend". You know the thing is, I didn't even felt that comfortable and all around my friends so I really can't understand why I am exaggerating on being sad instead of being happy for their success. I really dont know. There's a golden chance for me to get into uni too but the only problem is the risk. I dont wanna go alone tbh. 😅

Quick Reply