The Student Room Group

Think i might fail my dissertation, need some help/advice.

I left my dissertation late, but thought I was going to be fine. But ended up my contents page being corrupted, not including a figure page & also leaving text in my diss as ''figure _ shows, table _ shows'' - without saying which figure or table exactly (but the figure was always next to it) - any idea how bad this would impact my overall mark? My method and literature review were pretty decent and intro/conclusion were okay. my analysis was pretty well wrote too apart from figures not being labelled or mentioned but they were there with the text!

So im just wondering will this impact my mark too much?Thanks, im so stressed. Many hours spent on it, but feel like I've just thrown it all away by messing up a few parts.
Original post by edwardelrich000
I left my dissertation late, but thought I was going to be fine. But ended up my contents page being corrupted, not including a figure page & also leaving text in my diss as ''figure _ shows, table _ shows'' - without saying which figure or table exactly (but the figure was always next to it) - any idea how bad this would impact my overall mark? My method and literature review were pretty decent and intro/conclusion were okay. my analysis was pretty well wrote too apart from figures not being labelled or mentioned but they were there with the text!

So im just wondering will this impact my mark too much?Thanks, im so stressed. Many hours spent on it, but feel like I've just thrown it all away by messing up a few parts.

It may cause you to lose presentation/readability/formatting marks, as your marker won't be able to locate sections of your work easily without a contents page, and will find it more difficult to link the written text to the relevant figures/tables without clear labelling. This could then lose you a few more 'comprehensibility' marks, as the flow of the work and its clarity are disrupted by the errors.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It may cause you to lose presentation/readability/formatting marks, as your marker won't be able to locate sections of your work easily without a contents page, and will find it more difficult to link the written text to the relevant figures/tables without clear labelling. This could then lose you a few more 'comprehensibility' marks, as the flow of the work and its clarity are disrupted by the errors.

Thanks for the response! - I guess that's expected losing marks in formatting but that will probably impact the other parts of the mark scheme as well. I just hope I can at least get 40 marks!! As in my opinion it is readable and answers the question even though it is quite untidy and a few mistakes.
Original post by edwardelrich000
As in my opinion it is readable and answers the question even though it is quite untidy and a few mistakes.

That's the trouble though: you are too close to the project to see its flaws. You know what you've written and where you've written it, but the markers are seeing it for the first time as a complete document. Being untidy and having mistakes can affect readability. That's why it's always good to have someone else look through your dissertation.

Quick Reply

Latest