Does your MP live in their constituency? Watch

TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does your MP live in their constituency? My MP does definitely not live in her constituency I think she lives somewhere on the other side of Scotland because that's how often we see her now everyone regrets voting for Labour.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TensorTympani)
Does your MP live in their constituency? My MP does definitely not live in her constituency I think she lives somewhere on the other side of Scotland because that's how often we see her now everyone regrets voting for Labour.
There are only two female Labour MPs in Scotland. One was born in her constituency. The other is a long-standing local councillor for a ward that lies outside her constituency but is immediately next to her constituency. It seems wholly implausible that either live "on the other side of Scotland".
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
There are only two female Labour MPs in Scotland. One was born in her constituency. The other is a long-standing local councillor for a ward that lies outside her constituency but is immediately next to her constituency. It seems wholly implausible that either live "on the other side of Scotland".
If you are born in a place it does not mean that you still live there what a disgustingly flawed point.
And you have proved yourself wrong again as you have said that the ward lies outside her constituency, the point is it still is not in her constituency.
Furthermore, I was using a hyperbole of "on the other side of Scotland" to express how often she actually is in her constituency.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, my mp does (John Mann, Bassetlaw)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aye, lives about 10 mins from me house. Dopey former union rep who lives in a 50k house and votes along the party line 100% of the time, insipid little donkey.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are born in a place it does not mean that you still live there what a disgustingly flawed point.
And you have proved yourself wrong again as you have said that the ward lies outside her constituency, the point is it still is not in her constituency.
Furthermore, I was using a hyperbole of "on the other side of Scotland" to express how often she actually is in her constituency.
Rowley certainly lives in her constituency.

Lesley Laird lives literally 10 minutes drive from her constituency. She holds open surgeries in her constituency office (unsurprisingly, in the constituency) weekly. To pretend living ten minutes away really makes a difference to her ability to represent the area is just silly.

Otherwise, you might find that she's a bit busy. Being a Shadow Secretary of State and all.

[Just to clarify, I don't give a toss about the Labour Party - I'm a member of a different party - I just don't like when people have a misinformed go at politicians, who are - in my experience - among some of the most hardworking people in the country and get sod-all thanks for it.]
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
He lives near you does he? That means you live near me, ha ha. I wrote to John Mann and he was very nice to me. Also he has helped my family and some of my acquaintances. A very popular person in Bassetlaw
Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sam Gyimah - Not sure if he lives in Surrey but he is from Buckinghamshire. So could be further away.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
No matter how busy they are they should at least be able to address the growing concerns in their constituency.
(Original post by L i b)
Rowley certainly lives in her constituency.

Lesley Laird lives literally 10 minutes drive from her constituency. She holds open surgeries in her constituency office (unsurprisingly, in the constituency) weekly. To pretend living ten minutes away really makes a difference to her ability to represent the area is just silly.

Otherwise, you might find that she's a bit busy. Being a Shadow Secretary of State and all.

[Just to clarify, I don't give a toss about the Labour Party - I'm a member of a different party - I just don't like when people have a misinformed go at politicians, who are - in my experience - among some of the most hardworking people in the country and get sod-all thanks for it.]
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No matter how busy they are they should at least be able to address the growing concerns in their constituency.
They are, but obviously having a Ministerial or Shadow Ministerial job means that they will have less time to do certain things than they would otherwise.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
They are, but obviously having a Ministerial or Shadow Ministerial job means that they will have less time to do certain things than they would otherwise.
Saying she has a job in the Shadow Cabinet reinforces the notion that OP is not properly represented, rather than dismisses it.
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Pretty certain Toby Perkins lives in Chesterfield, wasn't born there though, but he lived in Chesterfield for years before he became an MP anyway
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
True, but what most voters what is not for their MP to have a ministerial or Shadow Ministerial job but just to keep the consitiency in good shape and address the problems in the constituency.
(Original post by L i b)
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
True, but what most voters what is not for their MP to have a ministerial or Shadow Ministerial job but just to keep the consitiency in good shape and address the problems in the constituency.
(Original post by Notoriety)
Saying she has a job in the Shadow Cabinet reinforces the notion that OP is not properly represented, rather than dismisses it.
You see, the problem with these comments is that they're addressing a completely different - although perhaps more valid - question. This has nothing to do with whether an MP lives in the constituency, but rather whether they have a Ministerial or Shadow Ministerial job.

If we're talking about Lesley Laird's constituency, one of her predecessors was a certain Gordon Brown who held that constituency from 2005 and a previous one before boundary changes since 1983. He also had shadow ministerial roles since 1985, and some pretty time-consuming government jobs since 1997. That didn't seem to do him much harm with the local electorate.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
You see, the problem with these comments is that they're addressing a completely different - although perhaps more valid - question. This has nothing to do with whether an MP lives in the constituency, but rather whether they have a Ministerial or Shadow Ministerial job.

If we're talking about Lesley Laird's constituency, one of her predecessors was a certain Gordon Brown who held that constituency from 2005 and a previous one before boundary changes since 1983. He also had shadow ministerial roles since 1985, and some pretty time-consuming government jobs since 1997. That didn't seem to do him much harm with the local electorate.
I mean there is obviously a problem with representation, which goes from a Speaker to the Shadows. You can imagine that a Sec of State for Health might be more disposed to keep open a local hospital or a hospital in the constituency of a life-long honourable friend. It is a different issue to the one identified in the OP, but I think we should acknowledge it's an important issue.

To OP's point, we all know candidates "flown in" to seats they've never even visited before. My old MP lived 300 miles away, till he got the Labour nod, and suddenly set up shop in a safe Labour seat far up north. The prospect of him truly understanding local issues is farcical. Not to mention his holding senior government positions concurrently, and spending literally less than a day in my home town every week.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The thing is that not all MPs do live in their constituency and that isn't a massive problem, in my view, so long that they're able to represent their constituents and is usually active in their constituency and getting involved with different events or talking to constituents. My MP (whom I'm not naming) lives in the constituency and is very active in the constituency which is good and he does a fantastic job unlike his predecessor.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I mean there is obviously a problem with representation, which goes from a Speaker to the Shadows. You can imagine that a Sec of State for Health might be more disposed to keep open a local hospital or a hospital in the constituency of a life-long honourable friend. It is a different issue to the one identified in the OP, but I think we should acknowledge it's an important issue.

To OP's point, we all know candidates "flown in" to seats they've never even visited before. My old MP lived 300 miles away, till he got the Labour nod, and suddenly set up shop in a safe Labour seat far up north. The prospect of him truly understanding local issues is farcical. Not to mention his holding senior government positions concurrently, and spending literally less than a day in my home town every week.
What you've described is the least ideal outcome for the local populace. My MP was Minister of State for Universities, Research, Science & Innovation and after he quit in protest at Theresa May's strategy for Brexit he was far more attentive to the needs of the locals.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The only time I heard about my mp’s predecessor was when he got caught in a massage parlour
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yours is very much a minority view. Across all times and all parties, there is no doubt that voters prefer politically powerful MPs. Ministers and shadow ministers have a much better electoral performance than backbench MPs who diligently but impotently represent their constituents’ interests.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aye, not far from me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did you find the exam?

Excellent (2)
33.33%
Great (1)
16.67%
Resonable (2)
33.33%
Rubbish!!! (1)
16.67%

Watched Threads