Do i need to be on a committee of a society? Watch

medicstar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Since being in 2nd year, everyone has started competing for committee positions of all different societies, it makes me wonder if I need to get invovled.

There is not one particular society that I feel that dedicated too so to be honest, not that keen on being a committee member.

My flatmate has now applied for 3 positions and she said that by me not being on a committee is going to hinder my future job prospects.
Is this true?
Kind of worried... :/
Doublletrouble
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nah you don't need to be part fo a society or hold a positions as this will not effect your job prospects. BUT at the end of your studies you will be provided with something called a 'transcript' which contains everything you have taken part in apart from studying e. g. Volunteering hours, society member, course rep, etc. Thus.... These things can make you stand out in comparison to someone who did the same degree came from the same university with the same experience... So it will definitely make you shine but it will not necessarily hinder your future job prospects.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It won't make that much difference. It's nice to have on your CV but your academic achievements and work experience hold a lot more weight. There was never anything about the societies I was a part of on my degree transcript, either, so that must be uni specific.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Doublletrouble)
Nah you don't need to be part fo a society or hold a positions as this will not effect your job prospects. BUT at the end of your studies you will be provided with something called a 'transcript' which contains everything you have taken part in apart from studying e. g. Volunteering hours, society member, course rep, etc. Thus.... These things can make you stand out in comparison to someone who did the same degree came from the same university with the same experience... So it will definitely make you shine but it will not necessarily hinder your future job prospects.
Transcripts are a record of academic achievement, not extramural activities such as committee membership. Or they are at every place I've ever heard of, anyway.
Doublletrouble
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Transcripts are a record of academic achievement, not extramural activities such as committee membership. Or they are at every place I've ever heard of, anyway.
For my uni transcript includes academic and non academic achievements
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Doublletrouble)
For my uni transcript includes academic and non academic achievements
That's interesting - a complete new one on me. Thanks for confirming
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (182)
25.67%
The paper was reasonable (314)
44.29%
Not feeling great about that exam (138)
19.46%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
10.58%

Watched Threads