The Student Room Group

Medicine- which uni to firm?

Hey guys Im a bit stuck on choosing which medical school to firm. Luckily, i received both offers from Kings College London and Queens Belfast.

I live in NI but I will be staying in halls the first year if I choose Queens just to experience the social life within the first year, and its also easy to make friends. Because I live in NI that also means my tuition fee is half of that in kcl and belfast is a much cheaper place to live in compared to london.

However, Id really love to study in London but the expenses are holding me back but kcl also has a better reputation compared to queens belfast. In kings, i would have to share flats from 2nd year on and would definitely have to be wise when spending money. I dont really come from a well off family so they would have to send me money monthly aswell as me having to work every summer holidays.

I dont mind the teaching style for both i.e i have no preference but i just think that London has more opportunities for me, itll also give me a bit of independence aswell as freedom as my parents are quite restrictive and strict.

Would love to hear advice from you guys. Thanks very much!
Original post by michaela0899
Hey guys Im a bit stuck on choosing which medical school to firm. Luckily, i received both offers from Kings College London and Queens Belfast.

I live in NI but I will be staying in halls the first year if I choose Queens just to experience the social life within the first year, and its also easy to make friends. Because I live in NI that also means my tuition fee is half of that in kcl and belfast is a much cheaper place to live in compared to london.

However, Id really love to study in London but the expenses are holding me back but kcl also has a better reputation compared to queens belfast. In kings, i would have to share flats from 2nd year on and would definitely have to be wise when spending money. I dont really come from a well off family so they would have to send me money monthly aswell as me having to work every summer holidays.

I dont mind the teaching style for both i.e i have no preference but i just think that London has more opportunities for me, itll also give me a bit of independence aswell as freedom as my parents are quite restrictive and strict.

Would love to hear advice from you guys. Thanks very much!

I would advise you to also post this in the medicine sub forum but my understanding of medicine is that it doesn't overly matter about the reputation of the uni since all courses are accredited and you will be able to get a job no matter where you study.

Although I can certainly understand you wanting to experience living in London, the cheaper tuition fees would probably swing it in Belfast's favour, for me. You could always work in London at a later stage in your career, maybe? Hopefully you will get some other opinions, but that's just mine
Reply 2
I have firmed KCL for medicine.
Costs are expensive, but, working during summers is an option. Im not sure if we will have summer free in later years due to placement though!
Cost is a significant factor unfortunately.
Im really lucky because i can live at home and commute to save money.

I would find out first whether we do have summers free etc if that is the main way you will be funding/supplementing yourself

Quick Reply

Latest