The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Bath or Durham for physics

Hi please can anyone help? I’m really struggling to decide my firm and I need to by May 1st, but between Durham and Bath. I visited Bath and liked it and it’s nearer home, but couldn’t get to Durham. Durham offered A*AB, and Bath offerred A*AA. I wondered if the course content differs much and if employers would favour Durham more than Bath, or if it’s equivalent ?Thank you so much for any help
Reply 1
Heyy so I can't offer you much information about the course (I'm doing psychology!) but I visited both Bath and Durham on their open days last year, so I can offer you a bit of a comparison in terms of atmosphere/uni life. Having said that I actually didn't end up applying to Bath (it just wasn't right for me) and have firmed Durham, so I may be a teeny bit biased...

The first thing I would say is that they are two very different universities - Bath doesn't offer creative subjects, whereas Durham does, so there will likely be a wider variety of people at Durham, at least in terms of interests and aspirations, etc. As you'd imagine, that also means Durham has a lot more creative extracurricular options (drama, theatre, societies etc). Durham also has colleges (most of which are catered) - so social life in your first year revolves a lot around that (formals, balls, sports, etc) - I guess whether you like that aspect or not comes down to personal preference.

Both Bath and Durham are absolutely beautiful cities - although as you know Bath is campus university, whereas Durham is (I think) technically a city university, so everything is much more spread out. The science site at Durham is quite campus-like though.

This may not be remotely helpful to you as I can't tell you anything about the actual course content (although they should have most of that on their websites) - I did have a quick look at league tables (although obviously that isn't everything) and Durham is ranked about 2nd or 3rd in the country for physics, whereas Bath is about 14th or 15th. That said they're both amazing, highly ranked universities, so I can't imagine employers would really favour one over the other.

Hope that helped, and good luck! :smile:
Original post by ScWc
Hi please can anyone help? I’m really struggling to decide my firm and I need to by May 1st, but between Durham and Bath. I visited Bath and liked it and it’s nearer home, but couldn’t get to Durham. Durham offered A*AB, and Bath offerred A*AA. I wondered if the course content differs much and if employers would favour Durham more than Bath, or if it’s equivalent ?Thank you so much for any help
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your help
Original post by ScWc

Ive visited both of them and am struggling to decide between them as well. Personally i liked the vibe of bath more as its a slightly bigger city and durham is vv small. But durhams physics course is one of the best and they have an amazing research department with great facilities. So if i were you Id be swayed towards durham, plus they have a lower offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending