which uni would you go for? firm and insurance Watch

artysunflowrr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I really need advice about which unis to put as my firm and insurance. I have 5 offers to study geology, and I liked all of them equally! so just need to see other peoples opinions about each uni, so, hopefully, two stand out more than the others

durham AAB
imperial A*AA
leeds AAB
birmingham ABB
royal holloway BBB

please don't be afraid to be brutal - I need as many peoples opinions as possible! I'm in desperate need of guidance haha
MrMoment
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d personally choose:

Firm: Imperial
World class university in a nice part of London.

Insurance: Durham
Prestigious university with a nice offer of 2 grades below firm.

Assuming you feel A*AA is realistic.
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can’t really like all of them equally as you must have a preference in someways, even minor.

I’d probably remove Royal Holloway because if you’re gonna go to London, you’d go to Imperial.

Imperial is obviously a great university but London lifestyle isn’t for everyone; it wouldn’t be for me at undergraduate level. If it’s for you, then it makes a very good insurance but bear in mind if you miss your offer, they’re unlikely to be flexible.

With your other three, it’s really a preference thing. Durham seem to have given you a reduced offer, which is encouraging but again, it might not be for you. It’s quiet and fairly dreary, while it’s got a lot of “rah” types. The college system has an appeal though.

Birmingham is decent and has the campus, while it’s got the city lifestyle and much more diversity and things to do than Durham. Not the nicest place to live though.

Leeds is an awesome city to be a student and the nightlife is some of the best in the country. Cheap cost of living too.

It’s really personal preference and what you want. I’d remove Birmingham and RHU myself then look at the courses.

If you want London, go to Imperial. If you want quiet, posh, go to Durham. If you want cheap and party city, go to Leeds.

What is it you want?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artysunflowrr)
I really need advice about which unis to put as my firm and insurance. I have 5 offers to study geology, and I liked all of them equally! so just need to see other peoples opinions about each uni, so, hopefully, two stand out more than the others

durham AAB
imperial A*AA
leeds AAB
birmingham ABB
royal holloway BBB

please don't be afraid to be brutal - I need as many peoples opinions as possible! I'm in desperate need of guidance haha
Depends a lot on your predicted grades and also on how confident you feel about achieving them?
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally love royal holloway but it really depends on what you want from the uni- which course looks the most interesting? Is it important for the uni to have a good social life? All are great options
palewaves
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would completely jump at the chance to have Imperial as my firm and then Durham as insurance.
To help make up your mind consider where you'd like to live. All those unis are fantastic so think about your potential life in each of those cities. Living in London is an incredible and amazing opportunity, for example, while Birmingham is less desirable but has its own significant merits. Have a google of the cities, their size/population, distance from home, living costs, attractions, nightlife, diversity etc
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also a worth while side note- royal holloway isn’t actually in London, it’s in Egham, (Surrey)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.65%
The paper was reasonable (394)
45.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (158)
18.35%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
13.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise