Living off student maintenance alone Watch

citrux
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello, I was accepted for undergraduate computer science and will start September, I already completed my student finance application and accommodation. I'll be moving out and intend on finding a part time for security but I understand this may not go as smoothly as I hope. I won't be financially supported by family and I think I'll be receiving the maximum maintenance loan because of my parents salary.

I've already looked over my expenses and it looks like I'm safe but from your experience and the people you know, is it safe to live off just the loan? How is life for most people that do so? I don't spend a lot of money and already have most of what I'll need. I understand there are options like creating a student bank account but I don't like the idea of going into more debt and spending money I definitely don't have and will struggle paying back.

Thanks
Last edited by citrux; 3 weeks ago
CPMiller
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I lived off my student loan alone, as long as you budget and don’t buy stuff that you can’t afford you’ll be fine - just need to be sensible is all
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you have the necessary qualifications to work as security even?
Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes it is perfectly possible if you are getting the maximum loan - I will be living on that too. Some uni offer grants to low income students too so check your uni website
CPMiller
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, if you planning on working too and then you’ll be fine
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by citrux)
Hello, I was accepted for undergraduate computer science and will start September, I already completed my student finance application and accommodation. I'll be moving out and intend on finding a part time for security but I understand this may not go as smoothly as I hope. I won't be financially supported by family and I think I'll be receiving the maximum maintenance loan because of my parents salary.

I've already looked over my expenses and it looks like I'm safe but from your experience and the people you know, is it safe to live off just the loan? How is life for most people that do so? I don't spend a lot of money and already have most of what I'll need. I understand there are options like creating a student bank account but I don't like the idea of going into more debt and spending money I definitely don't have and will struggle paying back.

Thanks
Definitely depends on how far from the maximum loan you will be.

But as long as you are getting a decent loan it should be fine, but yeh. Just be selective over accommodation if possible and look into the cost. And if possible do food shops at Aldi’s or Lidl etc or bulk buy as that helps reduce costs.
Mikolaj1109
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if you're on the maximum you will be fine, i will be on the minimum which will be a struggle
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you get the maximum you will be fine
I'd like to add that I would make a student bank account (even if its just for the perks like the railcard or amazon voucher) as you may as well. It's nice to have your overdraft just incase you need it. You don't ever need to go into it but if you do it's not a big deal as you will be paying back the same amount as you overspent it by
citrux
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Xarao)
Do you have the necessary qualifications to work as security even?
I'm not too sure, what would be needed?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
If you get the maximum you will be fine
I'd like to add that I would make a student bank account (even if its just for the perks like the railcard or amazon voucher) as you may as well. It's nice to have your overdraft just incase you need it. You don't ever need to go into it but if you do it's not a big deal as you will be paying back the same amount as you overspent it by
You're right, there's no harm in just having it as insurance.

Thanks for your responses
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by citrux)
I'm not too sure, what would be needed?
Yeah, you won't get a job working as security, especially with no certifications. Make sure you plan alternatives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (410)
30.35%
The paper was reasonable (535)
39.6%
Not feeling great about that exam... (230)
17.02%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
13.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed