Doing GCSES with a Chronic Illness Watch

lliillyy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, am kinda new here! Looking for some advice !
For context:
I'm in year 10, first year of GCSEs, options being

Religious Studies (GCSE exam for rs is v soon, we're doing it a year early)
History
Fine Art
English Lit & Lang
Combined Science
Maths

(Was doing drama and french, dropped them both due to attendance, wanted to focus on subjects I enjoyed lol)

Expected 8s and 9s in every subject (I did insanely good in my SATs) however I am at risk of not getting these as I have 50% attendance - I have a chronic illness called myalgic encephalomyelitis/ chronic fatigue syndrome (clue's in the name) so not only is it difficult to get to school when I feel well enough, it's difficult to study when I'm home as my energy is gone by the end of the school day. I did mocks last month (without revision/knowing any content), got mostly 5s, few 6s (and a 4 in maths, eek!). If I put work in and learn the content I am sure I am capable of the highest grades, but the issue I'm faced with is where to start and what to focus my very limited energy on (e.g school or studying at home).

In addition to an actual illness I'm suffering with a severe condition called 'lack of organisation'. I'm currently around 1/4 into learning two years worth of RS content (took 3 days of flat out work) and I have my proper GCSE in 2 weeks...

Does anyone have any advice on learning a lot in a short amount of time? Should I focus on actual content or just learn the basics and exam structure?
Any advice on pacing myself & working efficiently would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks for reading!!
furryface12
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:wavey: CFS buddy!

I'll move this over to GCSEs in a second so you might get some more replies. But it is a really hard situation. All you can do though is your best, and remember that health comes first always- without that you can't do anything. It's so easy to say I know but you need to look after yourself, and doing too much before the exam means you'll just be ill on the day. So try and resist that temptation if you can.

That aside, organisation helps a load! I really struggle with it too, but I set alarms and notes to myself for absolutely everything, and the calendar on my phone is an absolute lifesaver. The other thing I do is write a (REALISTIC) list of five things I want to get done each day. They can be anything from showering and doing the washing up to a paragraph of an essay or reading something. It makes me think about what I need to prioritise and helps me to pace myself.

When you get up tomorrow write a list of what you need to do for your exam and break it into little chunks. Then you can tick them off as you go. Do a little bit on each topic first so you have a vague idea, learn a couple of quotes from each or whatever and you can go into more depth if you have time. If you haven't already take a look at a couple of past papers too, so you know what's expected of you. It might be you only have to answer a couple of sections, in which case pick the topics you're most likely to go for and focus on them. It's still a good idea to do a little bit on your others in case the questions are horrible or something, but it does save you a little bit of time.

Good luck! You've got this

Edit: I'm an idiot it's already in GCSEs. Not sure why I thought otherwise- ignore me
lliillyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by furryface12)
:wavey: CFS buddy!

I'll move this over to GCSEs in a second so you might get some more replies. But it is a really hard situation. All you can do though is your best, and remember that health comes first always- without that you can't do anything. It's so easy to say I know but you need to look after yourself, and doing too much before the exam means you'll just be ill on the day. So try and resist that temptation if you can.

That aside, organisation helps a load! I really struggle with it too, but I set alarms and notes to myself for absolutely everything, and the calendar on my phone is an absolute lifesaver. The other thing I do is write a (REALISTIC) list of five things I want to get done each day. They can be anything from showering and doing the washing up to a paragraph of an essay or reading something. It makes me think about what I need to prioritise and helps me to pace myself.

When you get up tomorrow write a list of what you need to do for your exam and break it into little chunks. Then you can tick them off as you go. Do a little bit on each topic first so you have a vague idea, learn a couple of quotes from each or whatever and you can go into more depth if you have time. If you haven't already take a look at a couple of past papers too, so you know what's expected of you. It might be you only have to answer a couple of sections, in which case pick the topics you're most likely to go for and focus on them. It's still a good idea to do a little bit on your others in case the questions are horrible or something, but it does save you a little bit of time.

Good luck! You've got this

Edit: I'm an idiot it's already in GCSEs. Not sure why I thought otherwise- ignore me
Cfs buddy!!:wavey:

This is all very helpful and I'll take all of this on board, especially the list idea, that'd definitely help me. Pacing is one of the main things I need to work on, especially with an exam coming up.

It feels good to know that someone's been through it too & I'm not alone in my experiences

Thank you so so much!! :h:
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want any help/advice with fine art just give me a shout
furryface12
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lliillyy)
Cfs buddy!!:wavey:

This is all very helpful and I'll take all of this on board, especially the list idea, that'd definitely help me. Pacing is one of the main things I need to work on, especially with an exam coming up.

It feels good to know that someone's been through it too & I'm not alone in my experiences

Thank you so so much!! :h:
Pacing is so difficult, especially this time of year with exams and stuff. I'm way better than I used to be at it but after six years it's still te thing I struggle with most. We'll get there though let us know how it goes!
lliillyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you! I may need to as I have no cluuuueeee what I’m doing
(Original post by CoolCavy)
If you want any help/advice with fine art just give me a shout
lliillyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yeah.. it’s a process. Thank you, will do!
(Original post by furryface12)
Pacing is so difficult, especially this time of year with exams and stuff. I'm way better than I used to be at it but after six years it's still te thing I struggle with most. We'll get there though let us know how it goes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.88%
The paper was reasonable (419)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.09%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.79%

Watched Threads