myow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm thinking about doing geography a level without a GCSE, do you think I will be at a disadvantage?

Thanks
confused320
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I took geography at GCSE and am about to take my A-Level exams for it next month. Most sixth forms don't state that GCSE Geography is a prerequisite to study it at A-Level and I would say that you don't have to have studied it at GCSE to do well. A lot of the units I studied at A-Level were totally different and even some areas which I did cover, GCSE barely touched on them.
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not really, you should be fine. At my sixth form they accepted people who didn't take geography GCSE. If you do coasts or rivers at a level in physical geography that's something often covered at GCSE, so you may have a bit of base knowledge to catch up on. Otherwise with human geography at a level it's all new content with no prior knowledge. In essence you should be perfectly fine, I'd say do a bit of research of base knowledge on the physical geography topics and doing your own fieldwork investigation, but you'll be fine regardless! I do geography a level too
myow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thank you for your replies.

the course is both human ad physical geography so might have to check over the GCSE content
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (74)
38.34%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (30)
15.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (8)
4.15%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (20)
10.36%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (22)
11.4%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (20)
10.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
9.84%

Watched Threads