The Student Room Group

Can't cope anymore

I am in my last year, close to the ending of uni and I am just so unmotivated. I have dissertation to finish with few days left but I can't even look at it. It just makes me sick. just seeing everyone else on job and so close to finish everything just makes me sad and angry with myself. I know I am trying to run away from my problems but I don't know how to discipline myself. I feel so lost. My supervisor didn't really give me enough support and I didn't even pester him, so now I am close to the dissertation deadline with my work not even checked. I just feel like I want to dissappear. I know I put this on myself. I never thought I will end up like this. I just don't know what to do. I feel so alone and lost
Hello,

It's sad to hear you are feeling lost and alone in this situation, I'm sure what you're feeling resonates with others who have had to complete weighty pieces of work like a dissertation.

Motivation can be hard to find when you are overwhelmed but with deadlines approaching I would recommend a few tips to you that should help not just motivate you to complete the work but also to feel more confident about the situation:

- Try contacting your tutor again to speak not just about the work itself but also how you are feeling regarding the work/time-frame

- Contact your Universities student support, if you are saying that you are alone and lost they can help in giving you some pastoral care, you won't be the first student to contact them feeling this way. Liverpool Hope have a dedicated Student Development and Well-being team and I am sure yours will too.

- A tip from myself; simply sit down and get stuck in. It's very basic and I'm sure obvious but the hardest part sometimes is simply sitting down to look at the work. I found personally working on my own was best but if you focus and produce better work with others maybe speak to fellow students about potential research source centers.

- Read through your own writing and see what is missing so you can either add to existing points or realise what parts of your argument need to be addressed.

I myself found it very difficult to get motivation to complete my dissertation but I always found forcing myself to sit with my work in front of me and to start a sentence started rolling a ball that was hard to stop.

I hope this helps you with your work and sense of loneliness, just remember that it is fairly normal to struggle with this piece of work so to not be too hard on yourself.

I wish you the best moving forward with the essay and hope you get the support you require!

Patrick :lep:
Original post by Anonymous
I am in my last year, close to the ending of uni and I am just so unmotivated. I have dissertation to finish with few days left but I can't even look at it. It just makes me sick. just seeing everyone else on job and so close to finish everything just makes me sad and angry with myself. I know I am trying to run away from my problems but I don't know how to discipline myself. I feel so lost. My supervisor didn't really give me enough support and I didn't even pester him, so now I am close to the dissertation deadline with my work not even checked. I just feel like I want to dissappear. I know I put this on myself. I never thought I will end up like this. I just don't know what to do. I feel so alone and lost
I’m so sorry to hear this. I know it’s going to feel like the hardest thing to do but just start it. Once you get started you’ll be surprised how quickly you were able to get into the swing of things. As long as you complete even just a small portion I’d consider that a great success. Don’t beat yourself up about it you got this! If you ever need to talk to someone I’m always here 💖 only a while to go and it’ll all get better from here I promise 😊👍

Quick Reply

Latest