Trouble with Supervision Watch

Waif888
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am very near to submitting my PhD thesis, it needs to be in by July and it is virtually complete. I am happy with it. I have published several book chapters, given a number of papers and all seems well. But my supervisor will not read my work. To be honest I feel very let down by endless excuses. I don't even have a second supervisor as they were removed due to costs. I've had at least six different members of my supervisor team, due to retirements and unfortunate events (no disagreements). My department are dragging their heels with submission paperwork and if this carries on my course is going to run out of time with automatic failure. I am emailing chasers on a weekly basis and copying in heads of department, but nothing ever happens. Any advice on submitting with no one marking work? I can't even hire an independent tutor as time is so tight and the subject is really obscure. Has anyone else submitted without support? After seven years I might as well give it a shot and fail in style.
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm surprised at the automatic failure bit as that isn't typical. You will also need someone to sort out examiners as depending on uni rules your exam will be invalid if you have had contact with your examiners between submission and the exam. Is there a department head for grad students or equivalent at uni level? Maybe a grad students office? Even the SU will be able to advise/help. Give that you have published I'd imagine your work is more than up to scratch but going through this process without support is really not ideal.
(Original post by Waif888)
I am very near to submitting my PhD thesis, it needs to be in by July and it is virtually complete. I am happy with it. I have published several book chapters, given a number of papers and all seems well. But my supervisor will not read my work. To be honest I feel very let down by endless excuses. I don't even have a second supervisor as they were removed due to costs. I've had at least six different members of my supervisor team, due to retirements and unfortunate events (no disagreements). My department are dragging their heels with submission paperwork and if this carries on my course is going to run out of time with automatic failure. I am emailing chasers on a weekly basis and copying in heads of department, but nothing ever happens. Any advice on submitting with no one marking work? I can't even hire an independent tutor as time is so tight and the subject is really obscure. Has anyone else submitted without support? After seven years I might as well give it a shot and fail in style.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Waif888)
I'd echo all that alleycat393 says. It's very odd that your supervisor is proving so elusive. Have you demanded a face-to-face meeting with him/her? I think you need to!

Submitting without support is not an option, really. Even if you only get minor corrections, you're going to need your supervisor's support so you might as well get him/her on board now (and work out what's gone wrong in this academic relationship).
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need to make calls, if necessary you need to wait for them outside of their offices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (190)
23.09%
The paper was reasonable (343)
41.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
19.32%
It was TERRIBLE (131)
15.92%

Watched Threads