OCR A level English Literature 2019 Watch

lucy.s.p
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
haha no no worries! but yeah those questions would be amazing. I have absolutely no idea what could Come up and revision started off really bad I was so overwhelmed and just didn't know where to start so it didn't end up being too practical but I've recently got into the swing of it and its going a lot better, what about you? and ive had really crap teaching for the past two years so its been really hard but my grades have been fairly stable I just want to pass lmao. how about you how have you found it? xx
(Original post by Irhakhalid)
To be honest it's not really a prediction or anything my teacher has said but they're just topics I would really love for to come up because I did essays on them as practice like ones that we made up and I did well on them so it would be really amazing !! But of ocurse the exam board has it out for us so there's no hope in them being nice to us - Sorry If I got you excited for nothing xx

But I haven't really seen any A level questions on them; when I looked over the questions so far I haven't really seen anything on them so far but like on the AS papers there are specific character questions but I don't know if they are likely to come up on A level paper or not.

What are your thoughts? how are you getting on with revision? how have you been getting on during the course of the year?

xx
Irhakhalid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omg I'm so sorry to hear about the teachers - it must have been really tough but I believe you'll do absolutely amazingly especially since you've been able to keep stable grades which is just ad difficult even when you have good teachers around. I honestly found it overwhelming just as you said and have recently gotten into the swing of writing essays and getting them marked if not I write essay plans or short paragraphs instead to keep everything fresh in my head. But I wish I had done it earlier I get scared that I'm wasting time so I try to do something else but then my brain says I'm wasting time again so I keep going between things instead of focused revision because I get inglurnced by others so I'm trying to remind myself that I have to figure this out for me - which is really difficult because I always think that everyone else is smarter than me always. To be honest I am still overwhelmed especially with the exam so close and i just fear that i might no be able to show off everything to the examiner so i might not do well but i would really really like an A but it seems impossible sometimes !! But hopefully we can help each other out !! xx

Also just a little aside but do you happen to know anyone like Mr Bruff who's good at OCR English lit and particularly hamlet or rossetti/ibsen ? Or any other resources? xxx 😖😭🤗
(Original post by lucy.s.p)
haha no no worries! but yeah those questions would be amazing. I have absolutely no idea what could Come up and revision started off really bad I was so overwhelmed and just didn't know where to start so it didn't end up being too practical but I've recently got into the swing of it and its going a lot better, what about you? and ive had really crap teaching for the past two years so its been really hard but my grades have been fairly stable I just want to pass lmao. how about you how have you found it? xx
lucy.s.p
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Omg I'm so sorry to hear about the teachers - it must have been really tough but I believe you'll do absolutely amazingly especially since you've been able to keep stable grades which is just ad difficult even when you have good teachers around. I honestly found it overwhelming just as you said and have recently gotten into the swing of writing essays and getting them marked if not I write essay plans or short paragraphs instead to keep everything fresh in my head. But I wish I had done it earlier I get scared that I'm wasting time so I try to do something else but then my brain says I'm wasting time again so I keep going between things instead of focused revision because I get inglurnced by others so I'm trying to remind myself that I have to figure this out for me - which is really difficult because I always think that everyone else is smarter than me always. To be honest I am still overwhelmed especially with the exam so close and i just fear that i might no be able to show off everything to the examiner so i might not do well but i would really really like an A but it seems impossible sometimes !! But hopefully we can help each other out !! xx

Also just a little aside but do you happen to know anyone like Mr Bruff who's good at OCR English lit and particularly hamlet or rossetti/ibsen ? Or any other resources? xxx 😖😭🤗
No I’m completely the same I get so easily influenced by everyone else and always think I’m not doing enough but I just need to realise what works for me works for me haha! And I don’t know of any websites but I have this revision guide that is called like Cambridge notes or something that’s amazing as is the York notes guide! Sorry hope it’s helps
Irhakhalid
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cool that sounds great. I usually go online and choose key phrases or quotes from critics and adaptations because it says time for us !!
No I’m completely the same I get so easily influenced by everyone else and always think I’m not doing enough but I just need to realise what works for me works for me haha! And I don’t know of any websites but I have this revision guide that is called like Cambridge notes or something that’s amazing as is the York notes guide! Sorry hope it’s helps
MissCarter786
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
is anyone doing The picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde?

and The Bloody Chamber?
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Sorry I am panicking, I was wondering for Shakesperare section B am I allowed to use individual critics? Like Nancy Mackler said Miranda is a catalyst for The Tempest … Or would I be reduced to a few marks because i'm not using broad critical theories like Marxism, Feminism, Post Colonialism?

Thank you to whoever replies Appreciated
Cool that sounds great. I usually go online and choose key phrases or quotes from critics and adaptations because it says time for us !!
lucy.s.p
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
individual critics are fine! and very impressive
(Original post by MissCarter786)
Hi Sorry I am panicking, I was wondering for Shakesperare section B am I allowed to use individual critics? Like Nancy Mackler said Miranda is a catalyst for The Tempest … Or would I be reduced to a few marks because i'm not using broad critical theories like Marxism, Feminism, Post Colonialism?

Irhakhalid
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes absolutely!!! It is fine to use individual critics maybe refer to them with their time period so like: " a contemporary critic such as ..... would say ....." and elaborate a response to the critic. Or like " a Victorian critic...." or " a feminist critics such as ... would say ..."

Always make sure to elaborate a response to the critic so that it makes a link to the statement at hand in the exam and dont just leave the critic in their for the sake of it !!!🤗

MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes absolutely!!! It is fine to use individual critics maybe refer to them with their time period so like: " a contemporary critic such as ..... would say ....." and elaborate a response to the critic. Or like " a Victorian critic...." or " a feminist critics such as ... would say ..."

Always make sure to elaborate a response to the critic so that it makes a link to the statement at hand in the exam and dont just leave the critic in their for the sake of it !!!🤗
Im learning about 10 individual critics because I hate theories. It makes it difficult to see what time period they are writing in

individual critics are fine! and very impressive
Thank you so much What theories have you covered? I hate section B because I always waste time thinking what theory goes with the question, thats why applying individual critic seems okay and watching the production.
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have another question, for Section A for Shakespeare can I talk about film adaptations to support the analysis?
Can I also talk about how the modern and contemporary audience may view it as in Section A? to again support the analysis?

Thank you x
Last edited by MissCarter786; 3 weeks ago
lucy.s.p
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I find feminism extremely interesting so ive done a lot of that as it just sticks in my head other than that ive done like 1 or 2 for the other perspectives eg marxist, psychoanalytical etc

And im not too sure about section a? thats a good question haha
Im learning about 10 individual critics because I hate theories. It makes it difficult to see what time period they are writing in

Thank you so much What theories have you covered? I hate section B because I always waste time thinking what theory goes with the question, thats why applying individual critic seems okay and watching the production.
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I find feminism extremely interesting so ive done a lot of that as it just sticks in my head other than that ive done like 1 or 2 for the other perspectives eg marxist, psychoanalytical etc

And im not too sure about section a? thats a good question haha
Oooh thats good! What sort of critics have you looked at for feminism? Woah in class we did like 10 theories and thats why it stressed me out, so youre doing like 3/4 perspectives?
goofynibbaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Talk about how Placebo is a flatter and how Richard the ii surrounded himself with self seeking young favourites against the advice of the elderly statesmen in the court. Also Chaucer's audience would have associated with placebo with men at court who flatter their superiors. Doing so would likely solidify their position in court and possibly improve their chances of earning a promotion.
goofynibbaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ANYONE DOING

Paper 1 :
Question 1 - Mesure for Measure
Question 2 - The Merchants Tale and An Ideal Husband

Paper 2 :
Question 2 - Dracula, The Bloody Chamber or Beloved

need help with the comparative question on Paper 1...

thanks
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by goofynibbaa)
ANYONE DOING

Paper 1 :
Question 1 - Mesure for Measure
Question 2 - The Merchants Tale and An Ideal Husband

Paper 2 :
Question 2 - Dracula, The Bloody Chamber or Beloved

need help with the comparative question on Paper 1...

thanks
I’m doing TBC
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Irhakhalid
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes but always bring it back to the play and how it relates to the extract you're analysing otherwise you might end up writing a film messege
I have another question, for Section A for Shakespeare can I talk about film adaptations to support the analysis?
Can I also talk about how the modern and contemporary audience may view it as in Section A? to again support the analysis?

Thank you x
goofynibbaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't really need help with that. Still got half term to revise for that as well. i have a lot of context on it though if you need help
goofynibbaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't really need help with that. Still got half term to revise for that as well. i have a lot of context on it though if you need help
I’m doing TBC
Irhakhalid
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Heelloooo everybody I have a few questions because I'm quite anxious for the exam so I was just wondering what stage everyone is at;
How far is everyone with their revision
How much do you have left to do?
What will be your routine or process from now till the paper 1?

How well have you been getting on with past papers ?

I understand if you dont want to reply - it is quite personal ! xx
Last edited by Irhakhalid; 3 weeks ago
T.R01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone doing the merchants tale and a dolls house or richard iii? Would really appreciate if you have any advice on how to go about the comparison because I always find I have 2 really good points but can't think of a third.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (192)
14.39%
The paper was reasonable (741)
55.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (300)
22.49%
It was TERRIBLE (101)
7.57%

Watched Threads