The Student Room Group

Why do you care/not care about becoming rich?

Scroll to see replies

I feel happiness and having a family is way more important than money. I am lucky to have grown up in the household that I have. But i feel money is not everything in life. Yes you can have money but if you do not have loved ones by your side and if you're not happy then you really do not have anything.
At the end of the day money constantly comes and goes.
I'd love to be rich and i think the majority of people would because it brings more opportunities and ultimately happiness. But money only goes to a certain point and then the happiness kinda plateaus. I'd rather have a job which i enjoy and am able to travel the world with my work and earn 50k than a job where i stay in one place and do the same thing everyday for 500k. 500k would be good for a while but ultimately it would get boring and all the money in the world couldnt make me happy.

On the other hand if i was just rich and didnt have to work for it i would 100% rather be rich 😂
You are right and I agree with you. With kids or even parents or family, we must have enough money to live a comfortable life by fulfilling all the needs of life.
I'm already happy and have everything I need. Having more money doesn't really change anything. Just means I have to find things to do with it lol.

If I was rich I'd just be giving most of the most of the money away. My grandad used to do that. Thats the only reason I want to earn alot of money, to help my friends and family.
(edited 4 years ago)
Who wants to worry about money?
Reply 25
Original post by That'sGreat
Many people disagree over whether money is really that important, with those striving to be rich being in complete contrast to many who appear content with getting by relatively comfortably. Why do you care/not care about wealth? What are your perceptions and opinions of people who have the different opinion of you?

I wouldn't say money isn't important - it obviously is. But i'd rather have a 'comfortable' lifestyle with a good work life balance and time to enjoy life, rather than earning bucket loads but having to work 800 hours a week in some ultra high pressured city job. The way I see it is what's the point in earning so much money if you never actually have the time to enjoy it?

Obviously that's just my take on it and I don't think there's anything wrong with people taking a different approach.
I'd like enough to be comfortable, including being able to go abroad at least once a year, being able to buy coffee without worrying I can afford it, and maybe buying a house one day. So I guess I'd like to earn £30k+ probably.

Of course I wouldn't object to having more than that, but I feel like all the work to earn 100k or become a millionaire would overshadow the benefits.
I want no children or partner(well maybe but they won't live with me) in a small house with the basic necessities only. I don't even want to grow up to be an adult.
i do feel that happiness is the most important thing, but in the modern day, money and spending ability = power, and while money is not neccesary for a fulfilled life, it can contribute towards one, and not only just billions of dollars, but enough money so that you are free to buy essentials and not crushed by debt, and dont think of money too much for normal purchases....
I don’t think money is all that important to me personally. I just want to have enough to live a comfortable life and not have to stress over finances too much, but I wouldn’t want to be rich. The key to happiness in life is having good relationships and that’s not something money can buy.
I always wanted to be well off..
I still do but I know it's not the be all and end all.

Some days I want to be a billionaire and others I realise it's not that important.
But money always factors.. I'm an apprentice electrician after dropping out of business in Uni, I wanted to be rich then and own my company.. now as an electrician I want to own my own company.

I more so want to be my own boss and run a large company than to just win the lotto.

I've expensive tastes.. I like vintage watches, designer clothes (Loro Piana, Berluti, Brioni, not Gucci or Prada).
I want to own property all over the world and take a trip to Courchevel for a week.
But I've no interest in working 60 hours a week for the rest of my life to do so.
I want to own the company and delegate.. I don't want to work for a company and earn 1m a year.
Reply 31
Well let's be real, money is important in today's world so yeah I kind of do care about being rich. I don't necessarily need to be crazy rich, but I want to be able to live without always being burdened by financial issues and want to give back to my family who have spent a huge amount of me and my education.
Original post by DSilva
I wouldn't say money isn't important - it obviously is. But i'd rather have a 'comfortable' lifestyle with a good work life balance and time to enjoy life, rather than earning bucket loads but having to work 800 hours a week in some ultra high pressured city job. The way I see it is what's the point in earning so much money if you never actually have the time to enjoy it?

Obviously that's just my take on it and I don't think there's anything wrong with people taking a different approach.

After working an average of 80 hour weeks you can then retire early and set you children up for better lives and enjoy your life.
Original post by Obolinda
I want no children or partner(well maybe but they won't live with me) in a small house with the basic necessities only. I don't even want to grow up to be an adult.

That seems incredibly lonely
That seems incredibly lonely

I'm already lonely even though I have like a nuclear family unit at home and lot's of friends.
Reply 34
After working an average of 80 hour weeks you can then retire early and set you children up for better lives and enjoy your life.

That's true and it's each to their own really. But I'd still rather enjoy my 20s/30s/40s with a better work life balance, than retire early with more money having worked 80 hour weeks for 30 odd years.

I know a lot of people who did the 80 hour week high pressured city jobs, and they left because they felt they were basically missing their children grow up.
(edited 4 years ago)
I personally wouldn’t want to be rich because hoarding wealth is unethical and indefensible. I would also agree that money does buy you happiness and comfort but I don’t think the exploitation that comes with that is justifiable.
Who would worry about money if that person lives in the Western Europe? Oppurtunites, prices, benefit system, freedom, Western values, stable politics etc.. these things should be enough to have a happy life. Even in the West or North Europe if someone complains and struggles in the life then I don't know is there any prosperous region for this kind of person on the Earth.
Top comment to ecolier here. We all too readily take our health for granted, and don't treasure it until we lose it. For example, I developed cancer at 39, and my son was seriously ill aged 2.

Being happy is also extremely important. I am lucky as I get on really well with my kids and my aunty etc. Also I couldn't wish for better colleagues. I have a hilarious time at work. Laughter is priceless and I get plenty of that with my nearest and dearest.
Don't care cos in another 20 years or so, I am gonna be rich when me dad eventually has a coronary.
dont need millions, but do need money, although happiness is important and is a common argument, a stable income is pretty much necessary in todays society to have a good life...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending