Formulae for a level 9 in English? (Lit or Lang) Watch

9989AQA
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can anyone give a list of things to do to practically ensure I get a level 8/9? 😅thx
Harry3232
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 9989AQA)
Can anyone give a list of things to do to practically ensure I get a level 8/9? 😅thx
I don’t think anyone is certified a grade 8/9 before they’ve even taken the exam...

However, to access the higher boundaries/grades there are a number of things you could independently do to make your writing seem more sophisticated and professional:

•For Literature, although using the typical simile or oxymoron to analyse a quotation is a ok, try to find new language devices to open up your range; for example you could use binary oppositions, metonymy, dysphemism or dictions. They are pretty much all similar but give the impression to the examiner that you know your stuff!

•Try to use adventurous/ranging vocabulary to describe characters, to raise suggestions and to make inferences; instead of “shows” , “depicts” , “highlights”, use words like “adopts” , “employs” or “generates” - these words sound more sophisticated and will overall, once all the other elements are added correctly, enhance your chance to access the higher grades.

•Zooming in on specific words and phrases is a must at GCSE; and you need to make sure your concise with this. The trick is to “say a lot about a little”. Break down particular words and talk about word types (adverb, adjective etc...) then to add to these, you could mention whether or not these verbs are active or passive...

•Signpost ideas at the start of each paragraph - this is a clear structure for your examiner and they will be able to easily follow your response

Well, I hope at least this has helped you?
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is no winning formula that you can plug in to guarantee yourself anything here, at least not in my book anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (60)
16.13%
The paper was reasonable (191)
51.34%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
21.51%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads