Is this a GCSE qualification?

Watch this thread
DonLykeB
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello all, I'm going to try and keep this as simple as possible. I've recently gotten myself into an Access to Higher Education course. All went well and I have been offered a place. My tutor picked up on something though. She said that I may have to redo my English GCSE. I was shocked as I had my certificate right in my hand proving that I have an A grade in English Language. She then proceeds to tell me that 'I'm not entirely sure, but I do not think that you actually have a GCSE in English'. I am obviously confused, I was in top sets at secondary and took the exact same exam as everyone else. So I highly doubt that everyone who went to my secondary school left without GCSE's. She must be confused. She then proceeds to point out some things on my certificate. This is what it says: ONE SUBJECT LEVEL 1/ LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I took my GCSE's in 2016. Anyways, my question is. Does anyone else's certificates say this? and can anyone else let me know if I actually have a GCSE. I would be surprised if I didn't because as I said I have taken the exact same exam as the rest of my year. Many thanks all, sorry if I was rambling!
Tomkj
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
A level 2 qualification is equivalent to a GCSE, same as a level 3 qualification with A-levels
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DonLykeB)
Hello all, I'm going to try and keep this as simple as possible. I've recently gotten myself into an Access to Higher Education course. All went well and I have been offered a place. My tutor picked up on something though. She said that I may have to redo my English GCSE. I was shocked as I had my certificate right in my hand proving that I have an A grade in English Language. She then proceeds to tell me that 'I'm not entirely sure, but I do not think that you actually have a GCSE in English'. I am obviously confused, I was in top sets at secondary and took the exact same exam as everyone else. So I highly doubt that everyone who went to my secondary school left without GCSE's. She must be confused. She then proceeds to point out some things on my certificate. This is what it says: ONE SUBJECT LEVEL 1/ LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATE IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I took my GCSE's in 2016. Anyways, my question is. Does anyone else's certificates say this? and can anyone else let me know if I actually have a GCSE. I would be surprised if I didn't because as I said I have taken the exact same exam as the rest of my year. Many thanks all, sorry if I was rambling!
When IGCSE were allowed to be taken in uk state schools they were called level1/2 certificates. Your qualification should show a grade A*-C and is equivalent to a gcse and should be acceptable. It may be that the tutor is confusing it with a pass in level 2 functional skills that isn’t always accepted as equivalent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads