History books for my personal statement

Watch
blue whale
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I hope to study history at university and I'll be applying by the end of this year and so I've started working on things to add to my personal statement. I'd like to do some personal reading of some history books for this but I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
History is so broad - pick an area (that will be covered at uni) and read something on that. Maybe check the uni reading lists for inspiration
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by blue whale)
I hope to study history at university and I'll be applying by the end of this year and so I've started working on things to add to my personal statement. I'd like to do some personal reading of some history books for this but I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?
What sort of period would you be looking for?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Read some books that will come in handy for your coursework. Two birds with one stone and all that.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i dont know any books but i would recommend checking out some free online courses you could do to write about! https://www.edx.org/
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Choose a period of history you're interested in and get a few books out of the library. There's no one set 'history for university reading list' - history is far too broad a subject for that.
harry.holbrey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Use books from a certain period; I study Weimar Germany and Nazism at A Level so I researched historians on Nazi Germany and was able to mention them in my personal statement.
monikazon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't focus too much on the books but your understanding of them!

As someone mentioned, maybe read books that you will use for your coursework. My teacher let us pick our own topics of interest so I did 1600's & witchcraft. I picked two interpretations from the books I've read and evaluated already and summarised my views into my personal statement. By doing this you show your understanding of historiography. It also helps if you pick something you are not already doing at A level, so you show your genuine interest in the subject. If you can't do this with your coursework, you could pick a couple of books up about a similar subject (Russian revolution, American civil rights movement, Chinese empire or whatever strikes your fancy) and pick a debatable issue to write about. This is just an idea though!

I'm considered as EU student and I've firmed my offer to do History at Edinburgh & put Nottingham as insurance so if that's kind of place where you are looking to study this might help - every university is different though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads