IB subjects for industrial design? Watch

shan09
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
what IB subjects should I pick (HL/SL) for industrial design?
artful_lounger
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd suggest you look at the entry criteria for the courses you're considering to make sure you can meet them. Usually in the UK subject specific requirements are only for HL subjects. UK universities don't really care what you take for your SL subjects, but expect you to take them as part of the full IDP course. Of course, they can be useful or interesting options to explore areas you might not otherwise, and given the structure of IB you'll necessarily develop greater writing and/or analytical/scientific ability than someone doing A-levels focusing on one side or another, and you'll always do some language work outside of your native language, which is a bonus for you at least.

HL Maths, Physics, and Visual Art might give you the widest range of options within that area; courses in industrial design can skew from very creative/design oriented to very engineering oriented. However if you know you are leaning towards one side or another then selecting other subjects may be suitable. If you know you don't want to pursue a course with any technical emphasis and/or you struggle with maths/physics then it would be a good idea to not take those then.

CoolCavy knows more about the area and might be able to comment on what subjects are helpful in applying (either in terms of admissions or once you're actually on the course itself!).
shan09
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'd suggest you look at the entry criteria for the courses you're considering to make sure you can meet them. Usually in the UK subject specific requirements are only for HL subjects. UK universities don't really care what you take for your SL subjects, but expect you to take them as part of the full IDP course. Of course, they can be useful or interesting options to explore areas you might not otherwise, and given the structure of IB you'll necessarily develop greater writing and/or analytical/scientific ability than someone doing A-levels focusing on one side or another, and you'll always do some language work outside of your native language, which is a bonus for you at least.

HL Maths, Physics, and Visual Art might give you the widest range of options within that area; courses in industrial design can skew from very creative/design oriented to very engineering oriented. However if you know you are leaning towards one side or another then selecting other subjects may be suitable. If you know you don't want to pursue a course with any technical emphasis and/or you struggle with maths/physics then it would be a good idea to not take those then.

CoolCavy knows more about the area and might be able to comment on what subjects are helpful in applying (either in terms of admissions or once you're actually on the course itself!).
Thank you so much for the reply! But does this apply for Canadian universities as well?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shan09)
Thank you so much for the reply! But does this apply for Canadian universities as well?
Probably not, I'm not that familiar with Canadian admissions though; this website is primarily used by UK students in school here applying (or studying at) UK universities. I think some colleges there are similar to US in terms of admissions, in which case they'd have fewer formal requirements typically, but I'd suggest you check the relevant web-pages and/or contact any universities you may wish to apply to there to see if there are any required subjects.

It may be worth looking at the Study in North America forum, as someone there will probably have experience of the Canadian admissions process (although this might not be for industrial design specifically, and it may vary between provinces/universities)
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
shan09
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Probably not, I'm not that familiar with Canadian admissions though; this website is primarily used by UK students in school here applying (or studying at) UK universities.I think some colleges there are similar to US in terms of admissions, in which case they'd have fewer formal requirements typically, but I'd suggest you check the relevant web-pages and/or contact any universities you may wish to apply to there to see if there are any required subjects.

It may be worth looking at the Study in North America forum, as someone there will probably have experience of the Canadian admissions process (although this might not be for industrial design specifically, and it may vary between provinces/universities)
thank you!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shan09)
thank you!
No problem In general though you can't go far wrong taking HL Physics/Maths/Art as that should cover pretty much all your bases no matter which way the course skews, although you might be able to get away with SL Maths (definitely check that though!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (508)
26.46%
The paper was reasonable (833)
43.39%
Not feeling great about that exam (376)
19.58%
It was TERRIBLE (203)
10.57%

Watched Threads