Big difference in download speed between phone and laptop Watch

claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
When I use my phone I get 60mbs download speed but never more than 30mbs on my laptop, I ve tested them from a similar distance in the same room. Is it likely that my WiFi card is damaged when my laptop isnt quite 2 years old?
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not necessarily it could be a number of things.
-the ghz range used on the laptop v the phone for example.

What phone is it?
What laptop is it?
(Original post by claireestelle)
When I use my phone I get 60mbs download speed but never more than 30mbs on my laptop, I ve tested them from a similar distance in the same room. Is it likely that my WiFi card is damaged when my laptop isnt quite 2 years old?
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your laptop is most likely using a 2.4ghz wifi card which is slower than a 5ghz wifi adapter that your phone has. If your wifi card was damaged it wouldn't work at all. How much was your laptop? And what phone do you have?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by niteninja1)
Not necessarily it could be a number of things.
-the ghz range used on the laptop v the phone for example.

What phone is it?
What laptop is it?
I ve a OnePlus 5 phone and the laptop is a hp pavilion something can't remember the model number for the life of me.

(Original post by Ryanthom100)
Your laptop is most likely using a 2.4ghz wifi card which is slower than a 5ghz wifi adapter that your phone has. If your wifi card was damaged it wouldn't work at all. How much was your laptop? And what phone do you have?
My laptop was £600 hence my annoyance really, my phone is a OnePlus 5.
Acsel
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As above, most likely answer is that your phone is using a 5GHz network while your laptop is on 2.4GHz. It's possibly something like a signal strength issue, but that's unlikely.

There are a bunch of different things you can do to test. If you open device manager and take a look at network adapters you should see one, maybe more, adapters. If you're unsure which one is the main adapter, drop a printscreen of the adapters here and we can work it out. That'll tell us if your network adapter is even capable of using a 5GHz range.

Check what network you are connected to. Some routers will automatically divide the network into 2.4GHz and 5GHz, although most don't bother. There may be an option in your router network settings to split them and then forcibly connect your laptop to the 5GHz network if it's supported. When they're not divided, the device usually goes for whichever signal is strongest. 5GHz is faster, but has a shorter wavelength and therefore isn't as powerful. 2.4GHz signals are generally stronger.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
As above, most likely answer is that your phone is using a 5GHz network while your laptop is on 2.4GHz. It's possibly something like a signal strength issue, but that's unlikely.

There are a bunch of different things you can do to test. If you open device manager and take a look at network adapters you should see one, maybe more, adapters. If you're unsure which one is the main adapter, drop a printscreen of the adapters here and we can work it out. That'll tell us if your network adapter is even capable of using a 5GHz range.

Check what network you are connected to. Some routers will automatically divide the network into 2.4GHz and 5GHz, although most don't bother. There may be an option in your router network settings to split them and then forcibly connect your laptop to the 5GHz network if it's supported. When they're not divided, the device usually goes for whichever signal is strongest. 5GHz is faster, but has a shorter wavelength and therefore isn't as powerful. 2.4GHz signals are generally stronger.
Sorry I missed your reply, the router seems to be capable of both as is my laptop seemingly, they have the same SSID for both frequencies. Its set to dual band at the moment. I do have the option to turn off either 2.4 or 5ghz in the router settings seemingly.
Attached files
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Acsel I've managed to forcibly connect it to the 5ghz frequency and its working much better now, thank you so much
Last edited by claireestelle; 3 weeks ago
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Acsel I've managed to forcibly connect it to the 5ghz frequency and its working much better now, thank you so much
That's good to hear. Would recommend not turning off 2.4GHz in your router settings, as it's often necessary to have it available (for older equipment, or for connecting at longer ranges, etc.). But if you're able to forcibly connect to the 5GHz network, that should do the job. Hopefully it persists through reboots, but if not you may need to log into your router and manually split the networks into separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, then tell your laptop to default to the 5GHz one.

Of note, you may notice lower signal strength, or find that your laptop will revert back to 2.4GHz if you move too far from the router. That is perfectly normal but may end up being a pain if you have to keep manually reconnecting to 5GHz. Let me know if it starts being a pain and we'll work out a more permanent solution.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
That's good to hear. Would recommend not turning off 2.4GHz in your router settings, as it's often necessary to have it available (for older equipment, or for connecting at longer ranges, etc.). But if you're able to forcibly connect to the 5GHz network, that should do the job. Hopefully it persists through reboots, but if not you may need to log into your router and manually split the networks into separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, then tell your laptop to default to the 5GHz one.

Of note, you may notice lower signal strength, or find that your laptop will revert back to 2.4GHz if you move too far from the router. That is perfectly normal but may end up being a pain if you have to keep manually reconnecting to 5GHz. Let me know if it starts being a pain and we'll work out a more permanent solution.
The routers downstairs and I don't often use my laptop upstairs, if i did there's a wifi extender plugged in in the upstairs hallway so hopefully it won't need to revert back.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The routers downstairs and I don't often use my laptop upstairs, if i did there's a wifi extender plugged in in the upstairs hallway so hopefully it won't need to revert back.
Fingers crossed. I shouldn't imagine it's an issue, but you may also need to verify what band (2.4GHz, 5GHz or both) the extender operates on if you do run into problems in the future.
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thats a very good point because if the extender is only on 2.4 and uses the same SSID its possible the laptop has been connecting tk that rather than the router.
(Original post by Acsel)
Fingers crossed. I shouldn't imagine it's an issue, but you may also need to verify what band (2.4GHz, 5GHz or both) the extender operates on if you do run into problems in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (39)
5.7%
Fairly positive (228)
33.33%
Just another year... (271)
39.62%
Is it 2020 yet? (146)
21.35%

Watched Threads