Do you need to do 3 a levels in 2 years as a mature student? Watch

Haribo22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I know that top unis basically tend to expect 3 strong A level results, sat within 2 years, for non-mature students. But I was told by someone at a university open day that they don't expect this from mature students, as they are aware of the responsibilities they tend to have. I think it was either someone from Oxford, or possibly UCL who told me this.

Can anyone confirm if this is true for most of the russell group unis?

Thanks.
Last edited by Haribo22; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
They would normally expect the entrance requirements as stated on their web page.
The fact its all a bit hazy who told you this should lead you to asking the people in the know, which should be admissions for your target unis. Unis have discretion depending on how mature and what additional skills and experience you bring to the table, but I would use their stated entrance requirements as the base mark. How mature are you and what extra skills/ experience do you have?
Haribo22
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for the response.

I'm in my mid 30s, and was doing sound engineering before beginning my a levels, as well as a bit part time whilst studying. Unfortunately, my mother has been unwell, and I've had to help to look after her for a while whilst studying too, which is why I'm wondering about the two years.

I was actually speaking to a professor at UCL at an open day last year, and after speaking, he seemed very interested in me applying to get onto the course, and even said he would waive the entry requirements for me if I applied...! Though he said it may be beneficial for me to do a couple of A levels for my own benefit, so that I get back into the habit of studying, which I am now doing. And I am not sure whether I will be applying for that degree or another.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Haribo22)
I know that top unis basically tend to expect 3 strong A level results, sat within 2 years, for non-mature students. But I was told by someone at a university open day that they don't expect this from mature students, as they are aware of the responsibilities they tend to have. I think it was either someone from Oxford, or possibly UCL who told me this.

Can anyone confirm if this is true for most of the russell group unis?

Thanks.
Mature applicants often offer different qualifications or combinations, and this is common. Almost expected. There is no expectation that you would be required to offer the same as a school-leaver. There again, unis usually need to see some evidence of recent academic study at the right level, to show that you can (a) cope with academic work and (b) you're not going in completely cold.

Mature applicants might offer some A levels taken quite some time ago, along with one being currently studied. Alternatively, and more commonly, mature applicants often offer an Access course (this having the distinct benefit of being free of charge if you go on to study a degree). Some applicants might even be able to offer old qualifications with significant work experience for some courses.

There's no single answer to your question. It all depends on what course you're hoping to study, and at what university. What I can say is that apart from some very specific exceptions, there is absolutely no expectation that you will be offering three A levels as a mature applicant, and you will not be disadvantaged.
Haribo22
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply

I've just been in touch with a couple of universities, and it seems, at least for some subjects at Edinburgh, that you need 2 A levels,, as a mature student, sat in one go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (358)
41.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (167)
19.53%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
16.02%

Watched Threads