University Firm and Insurance!!!! Watch

Violet Days
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How can I decide on a uni? I have barely any days left to make a choice and I cannot decide on anything.
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Violet Days)
How can I decide on a uni? I have barely any days left to make a choice and I cannot decide on anything.
might want to start by mentioning the Uni's involved are, and some of your priorities for picking a Uni...
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any more information than this?

If you give the unis you're struggling between and the course, people may be able to help you.
Violet Days
Rep:
?
Oh yeah sorry lol It's between Nottingham,Leeds, Hull, Chester and Manchester to do Biology
Leviathan1611
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what are the grade requirements for each university and what course is it?

what one do you really want to go to?

what did you get in your mock exams?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Violet Days
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
might want to start by mentioning the Uni's involved are, and some of your priorities for picking a Uni...
Other than the course I don't really have anything else that would make me choose one over the other as they all have their pro's and con's
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh yeah sorry lol It's between Nottingham,Leeds, Hull, Chester and Manchester to do Biology
Do you have any you're leaning towards? You must have some you like less than others.
Violet Days
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
what are the grade requirements for each university and what course is it?

what one do you really want to go to?

what did you get in your mock exams?
All A's (I got all A's in mocks), there's not one I am like yes this is it, they all have good and bad qualities.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
Do you have any you're leaning towards? You must have some you like less than others.
Also, what grades are you expected to get? There's a big gulf in quality between Notts say (which asks for AAB typically) and Chester (whose typical offer is BCC)
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well Nottingham is obviously far superior (fyi i'm a Notts student, hence the bias)!

Firm between Notts, leeds, Manchester then? all are pretty similar academic level...
i would ignore grades as they are all well respected: do you have any priorities pulling you to any one of these Unis such as, location, course content, Sports/socs, nightlife etc?
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
Violet Days
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arisapo)
Also, what grades are you expected to get? There's a big gulf in quality between Notts say (which asks for AAB typically) and Chester (whose typical offer is BCC)
Not really I look at one such as Nottingham and think great atmosphere and people BUT I didn't think the labs were up to standard whereas Chester had a great student union and labs BUT it's too close by etc I keep going round in circles
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really I look at one such as Nottingham and think great atmosphere and people BUT I didn't think the labs were up to standard whereas Chester had a great student union and labs BUT it's too close by etc I keep going round in circles
Regardless of what you think, Chester and Hull are just not as good as your other three, which should be reflected by their standard offer.

I'd remove one of Chester and Hull or have them as an insurance at the very least as turning one of your other three down for those would be moronic.

The other three are all good, it depends what you're after.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Definitely firm nott
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
IF you can get into Manchester, Leeds, Notts go there for firm. They are in a different league to hull & chester.
I can't speak for the bio labs, but im sure at the 3 Uni's i mentioned will be up to the job. These institutions will pump money where it needs to go, they have a lot of it (relative to other UK unis). Unis like Hull & Chester put on a shiny exterior to attract students.

What else are your priorities? Location wise, career prospects, research, teaching quality, societies?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Violet Days
If teaching standards matter to you:

Nottingham & Leeds both are TEF Gold.
If research is important: Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester also do very well in the last REF rankings (i think Notts was highest @ 8th)
If Graduate prospects are: Nottingham, Leeds & Manchester are all in the top 10 most targeted Unis by top employers:
https://www.highfliers.co.uk/downloa...GMReport19.pdf
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you've got 3 good unis in there. no one can tell you which is better for you, just not Hull lol
Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was in this position and I went with my gut and firmed nottingham... put manchester as my insurance
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are predicted 3 As and getting 3 As in mocks, no way should you even be considering Hull or Chester. That leaves you with a choice of 3.

Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester.......only you can say which unis and cities you preferred when you visited them. If you didn't think the labs were up to standard at Notts and that there were better facilities at Leeds and Mancs, then maybe choose them? You won't go far wrong with any of the big 3.
Splishsplash
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd reject Chester and Hull too. As you have no strong opinions of the remaining 3, I'd firm the one with the highest offer and insure the lowest. Like everyone has said, you can't really go wrong with any of them academically or employment wise. Manchester and Leeds are some of UK's largest cities and their campuses are embedded within the city while Nottingham is smaller (but not small) with a green campus in its own grounds. Which style appeals to you? If you honestly don't mind which 3, why don't you just draw a name out a hat?

Does this matter to you - I've firmed Nottingham but if you don't already know, self catering accommodation is not on campus (but not too far away) and if you're going for catered there are no en suites left.
scorpiorules
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So having visited Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester - they all have different atmospheres so if you can't split on academic/course then look at where you'd rather live for 3 years.

Manchester was more "hipster" and spread out across the city, Nottingham obviously a "campus bubble" and seemed to be a lot more "white middle class" and Leeds somewhere in between.

We found out at the offers day last month that Nottingham has no more ensuite accomodation left and no self-catering on campus so if that's something you want then choose Leeds/Manchester - Leeds don't allocate accomodation till after results so its random, not sure about Manchester.

Manchester's main accomodation is a fair way from the campus - the students said the traffic was so bad it was quicker to jog to uni than use the bus and takes about 25 minutes. Nottingham if you are happy with catered and shared bathroom is on the campus - Leeds is a mixture.

Nightlife wise, probably not much to choose between them - Leeds and Manchester seemed to be easier to get to.

Sports wise - again not much to choose.

Have you compared how much flexibility there is in your course? whether they offer study abroad/placements? whether or not they have good links with industry afterwards? those could be differences you haven't considered.

I would say unless you are really worried about your results don't bother with the other two - you would probably get into those through clearing anyway if worse came to worse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (179)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (366)
46.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (146)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (93)
11.86%

Watched Threads