The Student Room Group

life talk

HI, I feel like my life is in shambles at the moment. I'm currently in year 12 ,first year of A Levels , studying 4 subjects (Maths, F.Maths, Economics and Physics) and have no idea what I'm doing why I'm doing it or even what goals I'm trying to achieve. I feel like I have no real interest in anything anymore, I used to enjoy maths and physics and would say I'm fairly decent at both however over the course of my first year doing a levels I feel like I've lost interest in both. The start of my year was good getting grades A A B in maths, physics and economics respectively in assessment one. But since then my grades have slipped down in all but economics as for assessment two my physics and maths results were a B and a C respectively and for assessment tree have slipped even lower. I don't know if this is because I've lost interest or if I'm just dumb.
Doing 4 subjects is really stressing me out as I have barley any free time for myself or family and friends. I have spoken to my head of year and he told me I'm not allowed to drop a subject .

University is another whole topic as my brother passed all his GCSE's and A levels with flying colours and is not breezing through university so my family is constantly comparing me to him and seeing me as a failure. For a while now I've wanted to take a gap year to decide what i'm doing and which path I want to take but even thinking about it makes me seem more like a failure to my family and at this point I've started to accept it. Many times I've contemplated taking my own life but I haven't due to one or two people who help me but don't even realise. The past couple of weeks i have had this constant thought that my life is pointless right now and people keep saying life gets better the older you get but i have strong doubts in that for myself.

Thanks for taking the timeout of your day to read this,
Niky Desh
(edited 5 years ago)
Don’t get too wrapped up in your struggles! My friends are some of the smartest people I know and they’ve been getting low grades. That’s not a reflection of their intelligence ( they’re planning on going to oxbridge!!) But rather a reflection of the difficulty of the subjects. Having 4 subjects is tough now but after this year you’ll be able to drop one which will help with your work load. Personally i would wait until results day before you make any further contemplation. They should help guide you as to where your true strengths lie. Regardless keep putting the effort in and you will see the result you want to come results day. Don’t slow now you’re doing awesome 😎👍 if you ever need to talk feel free to reply 💕

Quick Reply

Latest