Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Porridge for breakfast

Soup and sandwich for lunch

Rice with meat and veg for tea

Fruit and yogurt for dessert

I am overweight so is it possible to lose weight on this diet?
Last edited by Lostx; 5 months ago
LoisLame
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sounds like a healthy and stable diet! Make sure you have plenty of variety and don’t get too wrapped up in your weight. Everything in moderation ( and a treat is perfectly normal and healthy!) 😎👍 wish you all the best 💕
snazzy viking
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Porridge for breakfast

very healthy so you'll be more than fine
username2569523
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The food itself it's fine, but does it fit your macros?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes- providing the quantities are fine and not excessive.
As types of food they are perfectly good but you need to make sure the portions aren't too large/small
Lostx
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the replies

I am wondering if I still have a healthy diet:

*Porridge with dried mango for breakfast

*Soup for lunch

*Spinach, sweet potatoes, tuna
and sweet corn for tea

Snacks: 2 apples, dried mango, chicken breast, dried apricots

I don’t think I have lost any weight yet. I am overweight at the moment. Just looking for some advice on how I can go about losing.
Lostx
Rep:
?
I have dried apricots, berries, walnuts and seeds with the porridge
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)

*Soup for lunch

and sweet corn for tea

I don’t think I have lost any weight yet. I am overweight at the moment. Just looking for some advice on how I can go about losing.
It's a boring diet that looks like it was copied from a diet book. It's also unsustainable - no-one eats like this for long. Nutritionally speaking, it's probably too low in energy, deficient in iron and calcium with too much dried fruit. So all in all, not great.

Try starting from a more normal diet (which include things which you might also enjoy eating) and look at how you could a) cut portion sizes, b) swap some items/ingredients for healthier options and c) introduce small but meaningful changes in a gradual way. This is a much more sustainable way of going about things.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's a boring diet that looks like it was copied from a diet book. It's also unsustainable - no-one eats like this for long. Nutritionally speaking, it's probably too low in energy, deficient in iron and calcium with too much dried fruit. So all in all, not great.

Try starting from a more normal diet (which include things which you might also enjoy eating) and look at how you could a) cut portion sizes, b) swap some items/ingredients for healthier options and c) introduce small but meaningful changes in a gradual way. This is a much more sustainable way of going about things.
It’s not been copied from a diet book. I’ve been eating this way for about 3 weeks and I’m not tempted by unhealthy food. It’s sustainable for me.

What’s wrong with eating too much dried fruit? It’s healthier than chocolate.
When I am tempted to binge I go for the dried fruit. I have eaten a whole bag of dried mango today.
Last edited by Lostx; 5 months ago
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
It’s not been copied from a diet book. I’ve been eating this way for about 3 weeks and I’m not tempted by unhealthy food. It’s sustainable for me.

When I am tempted to binge I go for the dried fruit. I have eaten a whole bag of dried mango today.
So if this diet is so good why haven't you lost any weight on it? If you've got all the answers, why were you fat in the first place?

I suspect you're not interested in hearing anything which contradicts what you believe is correct so there's no point continuing the conversation.

Enjoy your bags of dried fruit.
Last edited by Reality Check; 5 months ago
radiatorman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Things like dried fruit are healthy in the sense they have vitamins and stuff. But be careful, they also have lots and lots of sugar, lots of unnecessary calories if you end up eating too much. So yeah have it as a treat but if you end up eating loads of dried fruit to make you full, you definitely will not lose weight.
(Original post by Lostx)

Lostx
Rep:
?
So if this diet is so good why haven't you lost any weight on it? If you've got all the answers, why were you fat in the first place?

I suspect you're not interested in hearing anything which contradicts what you believe is correct so there's no point continuing the conversation.

Enjoy your bags of dried fruit.
I’ve lost 2kg on this diet so far and that’s after just 2 weeks. No idea if I have lost some more as I don’t have any scales.

I put on weight in hospital which is really easy to do.

The whole point I made this thread is to get other people’s opinions on my
diet so I’m open to criticism.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by radiatorman)
Things like dried fruit are healthy in the sense they have vitamins and stuff. But be careful, they also have lots and lots of sugar, lots of unnecessary calories if you end up eating too much. So yeah have it as a treat but if you end up eating loads of dried fruit to make you full, you definitely will not lose weight.
Thank you. I don’t usually eat so much dried fruit, just today.
CuriosityYay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Lose weight = Energy deficit

Energy deficit = (Energy expenditure > Energy intake)

Energy expenditure ∝ Exercise

English version:
Your diet seems alright but to make progress you need exercise
radiatorman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Try strength training as in weightlifting it's fun
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
you will lose weight when you're in a calorie deficit. you would lose weight only eating chocolate bars as long as the total calories was less than you 'burnt' in that day.

dried fruit is a very calorie dense food. you have a perception of it being healthy because it is fruit and therefore micronutrient dense (micronutrients = vitamins, minerals etc). however, if you eat a whole bag of dried mango, it will increase your total calorie intake by quite a lot. 100g of mango has about 350 calories. that is 'whats wrong' with eating a lot of dried fruit, but in controlled quantities it has a place in a healthy diet. try fresh fruit instead when you want to binge. by weight it is less calorie dense so it is harder to overeat (in terms of calories).

use an online calculator to figure out what your 'maintenance' calories are AKA the amount you have to eat to stay at the same weight. reduce this by 200-300 per day and track how many calories you eat and stick to that value. (one caveat, these online calculators and calorie tracker apps are notorious for being inaccurate, but its the best way to begin to figure out how much you need to eat to lose weight. if you find you're not losing weight after a few weeks, decrease your calorie target by another 100 calories a day and see if you then lose weight)

and diet has a bigger effect on your overall calorie deficit than exercise does. you absolutely should be exercising, a mixture of aerobic and strength training but this does not negate the effects of an unhealthy diet.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by sotor)
you will lose weight when you're in a calorie deficit. you would lose weight only eating chocolate bars as long as the total calories was less than you 'burnt' in that day.

dried fruit is a very calorie dense food. you have a perception of it being healthy because it is fruit and therefore micronutrient dense (micronutrients = vitamins, minerals etc). however, if you eat a whole bag of dried mango, it will increase your total calorie intake by quite a lot. 100g of mango has about 350 calories. that is 'whats wrong' with eating a lot of dried fruit, but in controlled quantities it has a place in a healthy diet. try fresh fruit instead when you want to binge. by weight it is less calorie dense so it is harder to overeat (in terms of calories).

use an online calculator to figure out what your 'maintenance' calories are AKA the amount you have to eat to stay at the same weight. reduce this by 200-300 per day and track how many calories you eat and stick to that value. (one caveat, these online calculators and calorie tracker apps are notorious for being inaccurate, but its the best way to begin to figure out how much you need to eat to lose weight. if you find you're not losing weight after a few weeks, decrease your calorie target by another 100 calories a day and see if you then lose weight)

and diet has a bigger effect on your overall calorie deficit than exercise does. you absolutely should be exercising, a mixture of aerobic and strength training but this does not negate the effects of an unhealthy diet.
This post is unusual in being scientifically and dietetically completely accurate. You've restored my faith a bit
jameelagrada
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Im nt sure u can sustain a diet like that
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This post is unusual in being scientifically and dietetically completely accurate. You've restored my faith a bit
thank you very much
Amzy*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Porridge for breakfast

(Original post by Lostx)
I have dried apricots, berries, walnuts and seeds with the porridge
(Original post by Lostx)

*Soup for lunch

and sweet corn for tea

I'd encourage you to eat fresh fruit rather than dried fruit, or at least frozen fruit. Eat the rainbow with fruit and vegetables, make sure your plate is colourful. I would encourage you to eat more seeds: flax seeds, chia seeds, linseed etc and also a variety of nuts if you're not allergic (almonds especially).

Drink enough water for your weight, you can find charts or calculation formulas for how much water you should be drinking.

Cut out sugary drinks. Consuming added sugar drinks is one of the easiest way to gain weight (and be unhealthy) also artificial sweeteners are also not the answer. Sugary beverages leads to drinking your calories which is a super easy way to get your calories up.

Also in terms of health white is bad. So instead of white sugar opt for brown sugar or better yet opt for honey. Opt for wholemeal or whole grain instead of white bread or white flour.

Also for true health, cut down on processed meats (like tuna) and foods and opt for less processed options (like fresh fish or meat). Or with fruits opt for buying uncut/ chopped fruits eg pick whole pineapple, apples and mango vs buying already chopped pineapple slices, sliced apples or mango chunks. Why is it when you cut an apple yourself, it is hard to keep it from browning for a whole 2 days perhaps even a day, however somehow supermarkets sell apple slices which stay white and don't brown for more than 4 days even? They probably use artificial preservatives. There's research linking preservatives to a whole host of negative health effects including unhealthy weight gain.

Overall for a healthy diet choose fresh fruit and vegetables, wholemeal or wholegrain foods, seeds, nuts (if you're not allergic), legumes (beans and pulses) and if you eat meat choose fresh unprocessed meats. Cut out processed foods, foods with preservatives and basically pay more attention to what you're putting in your body (read ingredient labels) and what effect it might possibly be having on your body (do your research there's lots of literature backed by scientific studies).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads