doftep22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi there,

I would be so grateful if anyone currently studying, or having received an offer to study medicine at a Scottish uni could please let me know the grades they achieved in 6th year. I finished 6th year last year with grades AAC (2AH, 1H - the C was an AH). Is it unlikely most medical schools would even consider me based on this factor alone?

Thank you.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Unfortunately yes.
You are mostly required to have 3AH, apart from edinburgh at which you would need BB at AH (I'd maybe e-mail them and ask if they would consider you as you have an AC).
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by doftep22)
Hi there,

I would be so grateful if anyone currently studying, or having received an offer to study medicine at a Scottish uni could please let me know the grades they achieved in 6th year. I finished 6th year last year with grades AAC (2AH, 1H - the C was an AH). Is it unlikely most medical schools would even consider me based on this factor alone?

Thank you.
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Unfortunately yes.
You are mostly required to have 3AH, apart from edinburgh at which you would need BB at AH (I'd maybe e-mail them and ask if they would consider you as you have an AC).
I am not 100% sure this is accurate.
I think all Scottish med schools will accept a mix of AH and/or AAH plus crash highers. Grades are usually BB or BBB, but you would need to contact them to see if they would accept AAC rather than BBB, given that they are achieved. All of the below is dependent on you having achieved a minimum of AAAAB at Highers (and AAAAA for Glasgow)
Glasgow do ask for two Advanced Highers at AB and one Higher at B, or S5 minimum and three Advanced Highers at BBB, so they are least likely to consider you.
Dundee say" Offers will be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers/'crash' Highers taken in 6th year, at BBB grades. Candidates who have completed S6 and have not attained the 6th year entry requirements are unlikely to be considered."
Aberdeen "Candidates who have achieved the Entrance Requirements, i.e. five full academic courses @ AAAAB or better in S5, may choose to continue their studies in S6 and are free to choose a programme of study which is of particular interest to them, noting: that we expect candidates to engage fully with a S6 programme of study. Higher Biology will prove useful.
Please note that any offer of a place made to an applicant undertaking S6 studies will be a Conditional offer. Each application is considered individually when setting these conditions, but a typical condition is BBB."
St Andrews "Predicted to achieve at least BBB Highers or Advanced Highers in S6 studies."
Edinburgh "SQA Highers: AAAAB at Higher by end of S5, plus BB at Advanced Higher." Although given you have a C, it is almost certain you are not going to score enough in their admissions process for an offer anyway without WA flags.

So I would have thought Glasgow and Edinbirgh are likely to be out, but the other 3 need a bit more investigation.
Certainly for 2020 entry, many med schools seem to be softening their admission criteria, so it is certainly worth an email to check.
doftep22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thank you so much for this - it gives me some hope. I actually do have a WA flag so I’m hoping this will give a little bit of consideration. I really am attempting to make up for that C in any way possible, I’m studying a lot for UCAT and doing as much volunteering as I can make time for. Just a shame if none of that matters because I’m automatically filtered out by the system anyway. Thanks again
(Original post by GANFYD)
I am not 100% sure this is accurate.
I think all Scottish med schools will accept a mix of AH and/or AAH plus crash highers. Grades are usually BB or BBB, but you would need to contact them to see if they would accept AAC rather than BBB, given that they are achieved. All of the below is dependent on you having achieved a minimum of AAAAB at Highers (and AAAAA for Glasgow)
Glasgow do ask for two Advanced Highers at AB and one Higher at B, or S5 minimum and three Advanced Highers at BBB, so they are least likely to consider you.
Dundee say" Offers will be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers/'crash' Highers taken in 6th year, at BBB grades. Candidates who have completed S6 and have not attained the 6th year entry requirements are unlikely to be considered."
Aberdeen "Candidates who have achieved the Entrance Requirements, i.e. five full academic courses @ AAAAB or better in S5, may choose to continue their studies in S6 and are free to choose a programme of study which is of particular interest to them, noting: that we expect candidates to engage fully with a S6 programme of study. Higher Biology will prove useful.
Please note that any offer of a place made to an applicant undertaking S6 studies will be a Conditional offer. Each application is considered individually when setting these conditions, but a typical condition is BBB."
St Andrews "Predicted to achieve at least BBB Highers or Advanced Highers in S6 studies."
Edinburgh "SQA Highers: AAAAB at Higher by end of S5, plus BB at Advanced Higher." Although given you have a C, it is almost certain you are not going to score enough in their admissions process for an offer anyway without WA flags.

So I would have thought Glasgow and Edinbirgh are likely to be out, but the other 3 need a bit more investigation.
Certainly for 2020 entry, many med schools seem to be softening their admission criteria, so it is certainly worth an email to check.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by doftep22)
Thank you so much for this - it gives me some hope. I actually do have a WA flag so I’m hoping this will give a little bit of consideration. I really am attempting to make up for that C in any way possible, I’m studying a lot for UCAT and doing as much volunteering as I can make time for. Just a shame if none of that matters because I’m automatically filtered out by the system anyway. Thanks again
WA flags can make a massive difference, so do contact the med schools and ask about your situation.
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (426)
43.69%
No (104)
10.67%
I'm not old enough (445)
45.64%

Watched Threads