Struggling with my identity? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello!

So basically I'm mixed race - half Arab and half white English. I look much more white than Arab and no one would ever really know if it wasn't for my name.

Basically, recently I've just been struggling with who I am and my identity. I feel like I don't really fit well with either side properly - I look like white British people but they don't understand the other side of my culture, and with Arabs I look different to most and have been in England almost all my life so I just don't fit in there either.

I speak poor Arabic even though the rest of my family grew up in the Middle East so are fluent, which I think is a big part of my issues. I also find it difficult to learn as well because all the different dialects/classic Arabic there isn't really a proper way of learning my own language.

I find it difficult to spend time with other young British Muslims/Arabs because I just don't look like them I feel I don't fit in, and there's no one else I know who is a similar mix as I grew up in a very white heavy area.

On top of this, I recently started a relationship and the guy I'm seeing is white so I constantly have doubts about it because I feel that I want to be with someone who understands or relates to my culture more, but then again I don't know if that would realistically work since I feel so disconnected from it sometime anyways!

Anyone have similar experience or any advice?

Thanks!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
How’s does the way you look gotta do with fitting in?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How*
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Because I find it's difficult to when I look completely white British like other Arab people would just look past me or exclude me because they think I don't have anything to do with them or who they are etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (48)
5.88%
Fairly positive (263)
32.19%
Just another year... (320)
39.17%
Is it 2020 yet? (186)
22.77%

Watched Threads