Not taking Further Maths Watch

ImFreakingBrett
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've taken Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Language for my A-Levels. I'm planning to study Computer Science or Electrical Engineering at a top university. I was wondering how much not taking Further Maths would hindet my application since my school does not offer it. I'm predicting an A in Chemistry and A* in other 3.
Thank you.
Also do you think one should take Computer Science A levels then?
Last edited by ImFreakingBrett; 3 weeks ago
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ImFreakingBrett)
I've taken Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Language for my A-Levels. I'm planning to study Computer Science or Electrical Engineering at a top university. I was wondering how much not taking Further Maths would hindet my application since my school does not offer it. I'm predicting an A in Chemistry and A* in other 3.
Thank you.
Also do you think one should take Computer Science A levels then?
I don't think Computer Science A level is necessary - Maths is the important one (and Physics for Engineering). As for Further Maths, quite a few people do it before an Engineering degree but it is rarely an actual requirement. If you end up applying to any uni that says they prefer it, you should ask your referee to mention on your reference that it was not an option at your sixth form and that will be acceptable to the unis.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It won't be a requirement. If your school doesn't offer it then it isn't your fault and shouldn't affect your application as such
ViveLesLangues
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are interested in Further Maths, have a look at this website: https://amsp.org.uk
There's lots of example resources as well as a program offering tuition if your school does not offer it (https://amsp.org.uk/teachers/a-level...tudent-tuition). I would speak to your maths teacher and Head of Maths about your options if you want to take it and definitely show them this website so they contact your local AMSP area coordinator.
(Original post by harrysbar)
I don't think Computer Science A level is necessary - Maths is the important one (and Physics for Engineering). As for Further Maths, quite a few people do it before an Engineering degree but it is rarely an actual requirement. If you end up applying to any uni that says they prefer it, you should ask your referee to mention on your reference that it was not an option at your sixth form and that will be acceptable to the unis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (410)
30.35%
The paper was reasonable (535)
39.6%
Not feeling great about that exam... (230)
17.02%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
13.03%

Watched Threads