Top tips for coping with exam stress Watch

BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Not to fear, but exam season is almost here! Feeling stressed during this period is totally normal, but what's the best way to deal with it?

Whether you're going through it now or have been through it before - we want to know the best advice you have or have been given to get through the stressful season.

Did someone give you a useful tip to keep concentration? Did you discover a way to keep valuable information in your head? Or can you not thank yoga enough?!

Whatever it is, big or small, how do you deal with exam stress? Let us know in the comments below!

The best top tips will be featured in an article with Vice Magazine!
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Revise hard, but not too hard. You don't want to burn out.
Rest hard, but not too hard. You don't want to forget everything.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My main tip is to remember that it doesn't matter. Okay, so you want to do well, you want to get into uni. But, if it doesn't happen, the world isn't going to fall down around you. You might get in anyway, you could take a gap year and either apply elsewhere or take more exams.. there are plenty of options, and acing exams isn't the be all and end all.

Once you realise that, it tends to be a lot easier to relax and try and study and just do the best you can. All you can ever do is try your best, and if it doesn't happen, you can still be proud because you know you tried.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
All I keep on saying to myself is that there is more to life than exams
jemima0103
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you need to take a moment out to just breathe, then do.
Remember that not everything comes down to this moment even though you might think it does.
Revise but don't wear yourself out
What matters is what you think of the end result not what others think of it.

Good luck everyone
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Make sure you're not overworking yourself. If you feel like you need to have a small break or a day off from revising all together then have one, don't feel guilty about it.
j.1.2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
just keep in mind that time will not stop, stressing about exams will only hold you back and waste your energies.
life is virtual.
steana12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Resting enough is almost as important as revision itself. You want to pace yourself out well, and when you rest, focus on the rest and how nice it feels to do so. Focus on what you feel each day, focus on the progress you make. Try not to look too far into the future; taking it one day at a time will get you just as far. You're doing the best you can, you're improving, and that's what matters. So in the end, exams are a part of your learning curve, and they are nothing more than another past paper that you've already done so many of. You can do it if you trust yourself. Your brain remembers more than you think, especially when you're calm. Go out there and see it as something to be enjoyed, even. It'll all be worth it in the end.
Emanuel111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd recommend to wake up earlier, even during study leave / half term/weekends, in order to front-load your day. What do I mean by this? Exercise in the morning, get a bit of sunlight if you can and go for a light run/jog if possible. This will help calm your mind and make revision more productive. Coffee should be avoided if overly anxious but in small amounts can be helpful. Tea might be a better idea.

Since I am revising in the morning I take the evening off. From about 4-7pm depending on when I started, I simply stop. Completely. I cook myself a nice dinner whilst listening to relaxing music, and watch movies, almost 1 a night. I avoid video games, for me, they can add to my stress rather than relieve it.

Being organized really helps. Giving structure by waking up earlier as mentioned before does help, but try and have neat/concise revision notes, and within reason put a bit of effort into making them even just a little bit aesthetically pleasing.

Obviously, good sleep is critical to avoid stress. A warm bath/shower can help.

Finally, keep in touch with friends and make sure to continue with your hobbies. Meet up with friends on a quieter revision day, and play an instrument / draw art etc when at home, whatever you enjoy. Don't feel the need to drop all of your hobbies/exercise because you need to revise constantly. If you overdo it your efficiency will drop and you won't be making any extra progress anyway. Don't feel the need to compare yourself to others who claim to be doing X amount of hours a day etc... It doesn't apply to you and you don't need to match them. Just try your best personally and perhaps you can see the process and something to be enjoyed - because at this stage the topics all come together, and it's quite exciting to get so much better at a subject in a short amount of time Yes - crammers unite :P

Best of luck everyone
ExamsDo2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
past papers are the only way to suceed
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Animals! They are super therapeutic and my hamster really helps with uni stress. Take some breaks to stroke your pet if you have one
Name:  0be903f6-0796-47bc-ae3d-925b86fbc685.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.4 KB
ChicaDelTeatro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
@CoolCavy GCSE stress too!
My personal favourite is to make facts fit favourite songs e.g. Alexander Hamilton (song) but with facts about William of Normandy (who was himself illegitimate)
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Animals! They are super therapeutic and my hamster really helps with uni stress. Take some breaks to stroke your pet if you have one
Name:  0be903f6-0796-47bc-ae3d-925b86fbc685.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.4 KB
PRSOM - he's so cute
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Not to fear, but exam season is almost here! Feeling stressed during this period is totally normal, but what's the best way to deal with it?

Whether you're going through it now or have been through it before - we want to know the best advice you have or have been given to get through the stressful season.

Did someone give you a useful tip to keep concentration? Did you discover a way to keep valuable information in your head? Or can you not thank yoga enough?!

Whatever it is, big or small, how do you deal with exam stress? Let us know in the comments below!

The best top tips will be featured in an article with Vice Magazine!
none. stress is best.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Exams are a marathon - not a sprint. Take frequent breaks, keep hydrated and don't sit up too late.

If you feel yourself panicking then stop and take some deep breaths - stopping for a few minutes is often wise.

Read the instructions carefully and check you answer the right number of questions from the right sections.

You can do it!
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ExamsDo2)
past papers are the only way to succeed
That's true. 10/10 advice.
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Here my tip:

Honestly exams suck and should be abolished. They test students in an artificial manner, making many students disadvantaged. Then unis use these into account and here we go, potentially geniuses never get into a good uni (or any uni) because they were never tested in a way in the first place, especially since most exams (pre-university) are at least 60% fact/method recall rather than true understanding of the subject.

Not bothered starting an argument on this. If you don't see the flaws of the exam system, then I really can't help you.

Now for my tip for real:

Do past papers and read examiner's reports under TIMED conditions (and at about the same timings than for your real exam) otherwise you may risk not getting the grades you deserve. Yup perfect that exam technique.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Revise smart, not hard. Quality over quantity.
BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Staff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
These tips are so lovely! Keep 'em coming!
Jamesshoreo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd recommend using the examiner's reports and commentary on sample answers to perfect your exam technique.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
21.88%
The paper was reasonable (419)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (185)
19.09%
It was TERRIBLE (153)
15.79%

Watched Threads