The Student Room Group

Not too sure what ICT Career path to take

I currently started Computer science this year but considered dropping the course due to a lack of interest in the course (especially to do with the programming aspect) and I'm now stuck in a puddle of thinking about what I want to do in the future with regards to ICT. I'm not that very much tech savy, I just have a love for using applications on computers since from very young I've been on computers.
I'm thinking of taking the course called Business Computing and IT at Aston University but first I need to consider what I want to do in the future first before deciding.
So if anyone has any advice (I'll even accept harsh advice) on what I should do then I'm more than welcome to listen to.
Thank you for reading.
DevOps. I work as a DevOps Engineer, and it's definitely one of the most exciting and interesting non-software-dev IT roles available, and also pays exceptionally. It's also pretty in demand. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Cyber Security is pretty good field, but can be a bit siloed, depending on the application.

Data Science is a good contrast of tech and business, as is BI Development, where you're ultimately just doing data visualisations using a BI (Business Intelligence) tools like PowerBI, Tableu etc.

IT Support is always available, but it's a large range of things you'll be working on, and it can be quite frustrating because it'll range from fun problems to literally turning somebody's monitor on after they tell you 'it's broken'.

Quick Reply