shad0wboss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

Getting back once again to seek help. I am currently going through tough time deciding which university to go for.

My grade: 3.2 cumulative GPA out of 4 with 3.67/4 in the last semester
2 years of banking experience
No GMAT (I probably don't need it for many in the UK)

I have: BS Finance and BA Management from a US university.

Applying for: MSc Finance or MSc Economics and Finance

Currently I am considering these universities but i don't know whether these are good universities for the courses i want to apply for:

University of Bath

New Castle University

University of Glasgow

University of Birmingham

Any help regarding these or any other university is greatly appreciated! Please help!
Last edited by shad0wboss; 2 years ago
shad0wboss
Rep:
?
Bumping this thread with some more information i have gathered about programs that i'd like to apply for:

1. Edinburgh - MSc Finance
2. University of Leeds - MSc Economics and Finance
3. Warwick - MSc Finance
4. Glasgow - MSc Finance and Management
5. St Andrews - MSc Banking and Finance (doesn't have famous triple crown accreditation)
6. University of Bath - MSc Finance with Banking

Any comments or maybe some other Uni i should look into?
username4567470
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the best ones out of those are Warwick and Bath (and maybe St. Andrews).
But obviously make sure you’re interested in the course itself and the campus/city too
Just my thoughts!
(Original post by shad0wboss)
Bumping this thread with some more information i have gathered about programs that i'd like to apply for:

1. Edinburgh - MSc Finance
2. University of Leeds - MSc Economics and Finance
3. Warwick - MSc Finance
4. Glasgow - MSc Finance and Management
5. St Andrews - MSc Banking and Finance (doesn't have famous triple crown accreditation)
6. University of Bath - MSc Finance with Banking

Any comments or maybe some other Uni i should look into?
username4567470
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And have u thought about oxbridge/Lse? There’s no harm in applying, is there?
username4569004
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go Bath, the modules offered is much better than at Warwick and it only costs £17,000
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know St Andrews is one of the best universities in the country, don't about the course though.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In that subject, Glasgow then Warwick and Bath.
username4569004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
did you even look at the course content?
(Original post by random_matt)
In that subject, Glasgow then Warwick and Bath.
don't listen to this guy,

Bath> Edi>Warwick> Glasgow>St Andrews>Leeds
shad0wboss
Rep:
?
I selected these unis based on the modules offered. I am more concerned about the global reputation rather than in the UK as i am most likely to be back in Switzerland for work.

Bath is asking for much lower grades yet it is considered one of the best for this course? Any specific reasons for that?
username4569004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what do you mean lower grades? All the masters require 2:1 or above. However, it doesn't mean that you'll get it with the minimum requirements, for instance, there are more than 1200 students applying every year for MSc Finance
I selected these unis based on the modules offered. I am more concerned about the global reputation rather than in the UK as i am most likely to be back in Switzerland for work.

Bath is asking for much lower grades yet it is considered one of the best for this course? Any specific reasons for that?
shad0wboss
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Wan)
what do you mean lower grades? All the masters require 2:1 or above. However, it doesn't mean that you'll get it with the minimum requirements, for instance, there are more than 1200 students applying every year for MSc Finance
For example Edinburgh requires First class or 2:1 whereas Bath only requires 2:1
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want global rep, then Edinburgh is the best choice.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most universities require 2.1. The Scottish universities are very different and difficult to get into for EC students due to caps because EC students dont pay fees. This is true of undergrads and I suspect Masters as well. The problem with international rankings is they heavily favour older longer established universities in bigger cities like Edinburgh due to long standing reputation and research.. If you are looking at international reputation try Edinburgh. If not then Bath and Warwick are amongst the best rated universities in the Uk. Another option worth looking into is Exeter
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your profile looks impressive and you should be able to get into plenty number of reputable universities like

Warwick
UCL
KCL
CASS
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Bath
CASS
Cranfield

Best of luck
Last edited by jpt4749; 2 years ago
shad0wboss
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Wan)
Go Bath, the modules offered is much better than at Warwick and it only costs £17,000
haha for me it will be 25k as Swiss citizens are not considered as part of EU and are entitled to pay the international fee...One of the major cons for me.
Last edited by shad0wboss; 2 years ago
username4569004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First class or 2:1 means the same as 2:1 and above
For example Edinburgh requires First class or 2:1 whereas Bath only requires 2:1
oh that's the same price as Edinburgh then for you, still cheaper than Warwick. Depending on what you want to study, for me personally, Bath offers much more quantitative modules and there is a practice track ( basically project allowing you to work for one of their company partners) Edinburgh and Warwick is more geared towards PhD courses as they only have Dissertation whereas at Bath you have a choice of doing a practice track (working experience) or Dissertation (if you want to pursue a PhD). Either way, whichever university you are going to choose from these 3, they are all perfect for Finance related subjects
haha for me it will be 25k as Swiss citizens are not considered as part of EU and are entitled to pay the international fee...One of the major cons for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (346)
83.78%
No (67)
16.22%

Watched Threads