Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
About time!

An agreement has been reached to establish a new round of talks involving all the main political parties in Northern Ireland, the UK and Irish prime ministers, Theresa May and Leo Varadkar, have said in a joint statement.

The announcement comes a week after the killing of the journalist Lyra McKee sparked widespread calls to end the political impasse that has left Northern Ireland without a functioning government for more than 800 days.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard
Last edited by Airmed; 3 weeks ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Airmed)
About time!

An agreement has been reached to establish a new round of talks involving all the main political parties in Northern Ireland, the UK and Irish prime ministers, Theresa May and Leo Varadkar, have said in a joint statement.

The announcement comes a week after the killing of the journalist The announcement comes a week after the killing of the journalist Lyra McKee sparked widespread calls to end the political impasse that has left Northern Ireland without a functioning government for more than 800 days.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard
Shame it took the death of an innocent journalist for them to get their fingers out and reach a compromise.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank god for that.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Sorry for formatting, I'm on mobile and at work but I'm very excited by this news!

(Original post by Reality Check)
Shame it took the death of an innocent journalist for them to get their fingers out and reach a compromise.
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be Northern Ireland, would it?
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Thank god for that.
Only been waiting nearly 800 days for this news.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Only been waiting nearly 800 days for this news.
I watched the priest's speech at Lyra's funeral the other day and felt like getting a ferry across to shake the man's hand. Said what we all were thinking.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately, it wouldn't be Northern Ireland, would it?
Too true, unfortunately.
I watched the priest's speech at Lyra's funeral the other day and felt like getting a ferry across to shake the man's hand. Said what we all were thinking.
Didn't he just? And I assume that Arlene Foster's heel got caught in a grating or something, which could reasonably explain her tardiness.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Agreed. I phoned home the other day and my daddy was saying you could feel the tension in the air in Derry. We need power sharing back asap to get things in order
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Too true, unfortunately.

Didn't he just? And I assume that Arlene Foster's heel got caught in a grating or something, which could reasonably explain her tardiness.
I reserve an unreasonable amount of disdain for that woman.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
ditto
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ditto
That'll be all three of us, then.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do they actually need a Government?

I thought they just spaffed public finances over "green energy" schemes.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I honestly thought this would never end, and it took an innocent journalist to die for this deal to be sealed.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
I honestly thought this would never end, and it took an innocent journalist to die for this deal to be sealed.
#NorthernIrishProblems

it's a disgrace tbh
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Brilliant
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Perhaps someone can offer an explanation for this phenomenon:

Every single person I have met from Northern Ireland in my entire life has been a thoroughly pleasant, warm individual. Every one, despite the fact that they all have speak with a hard, thoroughly unattractive, accent, worse even than Scouse, Brummie or Californian, which is a significant barrier to acceptance.

Every single politician from Northern Ireland, on the other hand, appears (and I have not met one) to be a the sort of person whose hand I'd shake but immediately count my fingers and check the safety of any babies and wallets close by.

They are deeply entrenched in their views, wilfully obstuctive and totally untrustworthy.

Why is this? Why do the people continue to elect them. They clearly do not have the people's interests at heart.
Airmed
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Perhaps someone can offer an explanation for this phenomenon:

Every single person I have met from Northern Ireland in my entire life has been a thoroughly pleasant, warm individual. Every one, despite the fact that they all have speak with a hard, thoroughly unattractive, accent, worse even than Scouse, Brummie or Californian, which is a significant barrier to acceptance.

Every single politician from Northern Ireland, on the other hand, appears (and I have not met one) to be a the sort of person whose hand I'd shake but immediately count my fingers and check the safety of any babies and wallets close by.

They are deeply entrenched in their views, wilfully obstuctive and totally untrustworthy.

Why is this? Why do the people continue to elect them. They clearly do not have the people's interests at heart.
I wish I could answer that for you.

P.S my accent is a softer version of the one in Derry Girls. It's not bad at all :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (111)
22.33%
The paper was reasonable (224)
45.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (84)
16.9%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
15.69%

Watched Threads