xobxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello,

My brain has gone to mush so sorry if this seems like a silly question. I am currently writing a research proposal, where I intend to interview several students from different ethnic/religious backgrounds. In order to do this, I wish to select one student from each religious and cultural society within my university union to study. Can anyone assist me with whether this would be stratified random sampling I am choosing a student at random from a survey population or have I got this completely wrong?
Thanks so much
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by xobxo)
Hello,

My brain has gone to mush so sorry if this seems like a silly question. I am currently writing a research proposal, where I intend to interview several students from different ethnic/religious backgrounds. In order to do this, I wish to select one student from each religious and cultural society within my university union to study. Can anyone assist me with whether this would be stratified random sampling I am choosing a student at random from a survey population or have I got this completely wrong?
Thanks so much
This sample will not be large enough to do much useful statistical analysis.
xobxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
great thanks. I think non-probability sampling would be better after reviewing it. Thanks for your help.
(Original post by Muttley79)
This sample will not be large enough to do much useful statistical analysis.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by xobxo)
Hello,

Thanks so much
Yep - you're sampling randomly from each strata (group).
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Is your research qualitative or quantitative? You mentioned you're conducting interviews so it's seems to be qualitative approach. Check this paper Robinson(2014) "Sampling in Interview-Based Qualitative Research: A Theoretical and Practical Guide". Should be a good start.

You need to be total "nuts" to apply statistical analysis to qualitative data, lol.

However, if by interview you mean something else, then it's another story.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (135)
58.95%
No (52)
22.71%
Not sure (42)
18.34%

Watched Threads