The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies 2018-2019

Scroll to see replies

Most likely not because most people will be focusing on other exams but a teacher maybe could. Plus your right a lot of the questions asked are either new or have been reworded so its hard to judge what the sqa want you to say. Especially in crime I imagine there will be a lot of different responses
Original post by scott23434
Most likely not because most people will be focusing on other exams but a teacher maybe could. Plus your right a lot of the questions asked are either new or have been reworded so its hard to judge what the sqa want you to say. Especially in crime I imagine there will be a lot of different responses

yeah reading this has made me question what I’ve put. Oh well. Too late now.
I think i will get my teacher to do go over it tomorrow, I will put his answers on here for yous x
Original post by katiecornfield
I think i will get my teacher to do go over it tomorrow, I will put his answers on here for yous x

Thanks sm
Reply 144
Original post by plsA
Oof, I put in something about how knife crime/gang crime is a problem and underage drinking

omg same
yeah i put knife crime
Wow, that was difficult. Everyone I’ve spoken to seems to be in agreement so it’s hopefully not to be a huge source of concern.

I think the problem was that they

(a) asked really specific questions meaning you’re less likely to get an accurate representation of what you know on the topics. I could have cried tbh when I saw biological causes of crime, which we were told not to learn because the theories are rubbish and they never ask them.
(b) asked lots of difficult questions. Felt like more of them were those ‘stretch’ -type Q’s or as you say new ones (that one about how crime is an issue eg). Furthermore for me I wasn’t lucky in that none of the stuff I was most strong on with best exemplification for came up. At all. Dk if anyone else was the same.
(c) They seemed to reverse some of the questions I’d organised for. When I know why the Government’s response to crime IS effective, they ask why it isn’t [went with courts option here to be safe], then they ask why some groups in a world power are MORE LIKELY to participate when I only learned barriers to participation. My tactic was to sort-of switch around those answers with opposites, tho’ if this was at all helpful I don’t have a clue.

So yeah all in all I hated that, needed to pee real bad toward the end (actually really liberating btw) and am convinced the SQA do hate us.
Original post by Button222
oh jesus, I put that the rate of vandalism crime is high and the rate of dishonesty crime is high😭

I had the same for my first one that it can be seen in vandalism and rundown communities, then for the next point said overcrowded prisons.
Original post by Vladimir Poutine
Wow, that was difficult. Everyone I’ve spoken to seems to be in agreement so it’s hopefully not to be a huge source of concern.

(a) asked really specific questions meaning you’re less likely to get an accurate representation of what you know on the topics. I could have cried tbh when I saw biological causes of crime, which we were told not to learn because the theories are rubbish and they never ask them.
(b) asked lots of difficult questions. Felt like more of them were those ‘stretch’ -type Q’s or as you say new ones (that one about how crime is an issue eg). Furthermore for me I wasn’t lucky in that none of the stuff I was most strong on with best exemplification for came up. At all. Dk if anyone else was the same.
(c) They seemed to reverse some of the questions I’d organised for. When I know why the Government’s response to crime IS effective, they ask why it isn’t [went with courts option here to be safe], then they ask why some groups in a world power are MORE LIKELY to participate when I only learned barriers to participation. My tactic was to sort-of switch around those answers with opposites, tho’ if this was at all helpful I don’t have a clue.

So yeah all in all I hated that, needed to pee real bad toward the end (actually really liberating btw) and am convinced the SQA do hate us.

Fully agree, especially with point C
I am so glad other people put the same as me!
Original post by mrobertson03
I put mental health issues and alcohol/drug addictions, so pretty much the same.
What did people put down for the conclusions?
i put drugs and alcohol and mental health issues aswell
Original post by katiecornfield
i put drugs and alcohol and mental health issues aswell

Yay! There’s a wee group of us that did so fingers crossed we all get the marks!
The Nat 5 How To Pass textbook lists drugs/alcohol, mental health issues and gender differences as biological causes, so we should get the marks.
Original post by adqwilson
Yay! There’s a wee group of us that did so fingers crossed we all get the marks!
I put medical disorders (e,g. ADHD) and low intelligence so RIP me... my teacher said it’s probably fine tho
Reply 155
I put in mental health issues and how the person could inherit such kind of behaviours in their genes from their parents
Original post by david.punton
I put medical disorders (e,g. ADHD) and low intelligence so RIP me... my teacher said it’s probably fine tho
Reply 156
Original post by Vladimir Poutine

Yeah, it definitely was! They were far too specific this year, I had to make almost everything up on the spot and I didn't finish the 8 mark question! It was so hard! The superpower military question was also ridiculous, like what the heck! I will be surprised if I manage to get a C in this, my friend Alan missed out 30 marks worth of questions!
(edited 4 years ago)
personally i think all of the sqa exams were really quite hard this year, i mean there’s at least 2 of the exam subjects that people are not happy with at all
also my modern teacher is away at an sqa course for history marking so i won’t be able to get his answers and opinion till tuesday x
update, i went over some of my answers for the modern paper and my teacher corrected them, i don’t have pictures but if anyone has questions on particular questions i can compare them to mine x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending