The Student Room Group

Dropping out after first year - Student Finance

Hi,

- If I will drop out in May or June this year (after my first year ends), will I:

1. need to give back my student finance (I will be getting my last maintenance and tuition loan on 29/04/2019) immediately (so around ~1900 of maintenance loan back)

2. will I be able to repay it just like the student loan (after I will be earning the ~21000 threshold)?

I am planning to do 1 year apprenticeship then come back to university after the year on different course, but it will be hard to survive if I will need to repay the maintenance loan when living on my own. Thanks in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeh they expect you to repay everything they have given you back BUT only when you earn above the given threshold.

So I think if you will earn 21k immediately after dropping out then they will start taking it, but if not then they won't start taking money.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks for you answer.

Yeah, but I still expect the maintenance loan for third term which I will receive in three days, therefore I am asking about when should I drop out to make sure that I won't repay the last maintenance loan IMMEDIATELY, but after when I will be earning normal money in job (above £21k).

I am aware of that but I saw examples where people had to pay some amount of money back to SF because they've dropped out early. I am expecting a maintenance loan in three days which will help me with moving out to Scotland where I will take apprenticeship, and I don't want a scenario when I will have to give the maintenance loan IMMEDIATELY instead of when I will be earning the £21k so I am just asking - when should I drop out to make sure that I will don't need to have to pay the last (term 3) maintenance loan back NOW instead of later when I will be earning normal money in job.

My plan for the future is to: move out in August/September with having some saved money from maintenance loan, start apprenticeship in September, then reapply to different university for different course in 2020 therefore. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest