infection and immunity is doing this msc useless? Watch

Confused9970107
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have been offered a place at UCL to study infection and immunity. I am worried this MSC will be useless and will not open any doors for me. I want to apply for the STP (microbiology). Will this MSC help my application ?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Confused9970107)
I have been offered a place at UCL to study infection and immunity. I am worried this MSC will be useless and will not open any doors for me. I want to apply for the STP (microbiology). Will this MSC help my application ?
What was your original motivation for applying for this course? That might give you some perspective.
Confused9970107
Rep:
?
My original motivation was to study here then apply for the NHS STP microbiology sector (gaining several years of clinical experiences) Then perhaps in the future do a PhD in microbiology and get into the pharmaceutical microbiology one day.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My original motivation was to study here then apply for the NHS STP microbiology sector (gaining several years of clinical experiences) Then perhaps in the future do a PhD in microbiology and get into the pharmaceutical microbiology one day.
Why do you think it will be useless then (as you say in your OP)? I'm not quite following...
Confused9970107
Rep:
?
I am worried that I don’t get into the STP as it is competitive and I will be unemployed with a msc degree. I want to hear people who have graduated with this course , what they did after etc.
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Why do you think it will be useless then (as you say in your OP)? I'm not quite following...
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think the first step is accepting how few laboratories actually employ Clinical Scientists in Microbiology.
Confused9970107
Rep:
?
So doing a masters in infection and immunity will not help as there aren’t many jobs in microbiology (clinical scientists)?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
I think the first step is accepting how few laboratories actually employ Clinical Scientists in Microbiology.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It will help in your future attempts to do a PhD. Only the larger laboratories use them and it's more on a research basis and usually just the one. You could work in laboratories for a full career in microbiology and never cross a Clinical Scientist. I believe in regards to the STP, there's usually only 2 spots nationally a year.
So doing a masters in infection and immunity will not help as there aren’t many jobs in microbiology (clinical scientists)?
searching123job
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ngl

You could end up in a not so good place

it’s one of them msc courses. Can be bery interesting and useful for phd study, but a job? Might be tricky there
searching123job
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do an msc in biocehmical engineering

You can do it with a life science degree

And end up working in industry or manaement, even finance and other kewl stuff
Confused9970107
Rep:
?
Thank you , you have been very helpful . I need to do more research before accepting this offer. Got invited for an interview to train as a BMS and get HCPC accredited wish me luck !!
It will help in your future attempts to do a PhD. Only the larger laboratories use them and it's more on a research basis and usually just the one. You could work in laboratories for a full career in microbiology and never cross a Clinical Scientist. I believe in regards to the STP, there's usually only 2 spots nationally a year.
hufflepuffholmes
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you go about training to be a BMS????
Thank you , you have been very helpful . I need to do more research before accepting this offer. Got invited for an interview to train as a BMS and get HCPC accredited wish me luck !!
Brightside94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think public health is way forward for clinical scientists in microbiology. I’ve seen consultant doctor posts advertised with requirement of GMC or HSST qualification. Good luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah except if you want to do a PhD it's completely useless. why i only did biology up to Bachelor's level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads