dont know it
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Graham is researching the affects a high protein diet has on the glucose level of adults aged 25 to 35. He decides to collect blood samples from 50 females and 50 males.

a) State the sampling technique Graham has used.
Ldk111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Quota Sampling I believe
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ldk111)
Quota Sampling I believe
Indeed it is, but why wouldn't it be stratified?
Ldk111
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Stratified sampling requires a random sample be taken from a population, quota does not it can just be any 50 of either gender.
dont know it
Rep:
?
Stratified sampling requires a random sample be taken from a population, quota does not it can just be any 50 of either gender.
Ahh right, thanks. The next part asks for one advantage and disadvantage of this sampling technique, so would no sampling frame required be a valid one?
Ldk111
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'd guess so, and lack of cost / ease would be the advantage
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by dont know it)
Indeed it is, but why wouldn't it be stratified?
To me it's not a very good question since this could be stratified if they used e.g. simple random sampling to select the 50 males/females. Since they don't give you this information the "correct" answer here is probably quota sampling.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ahh right, thanks. The next part asks for one advantage and disadvantage of this sampling technique, so would no sampling frame required be a valid one?
Yes. In your textbook you'll have a list of advantages/disadvantages for every sampling method. If you pick one of them then you can't go wrong so I recommend learning them all off-by-heart.

EDIT: Of course the advantage/disadvantage has to make sense in the context of the question.
Last edited by Sir Cumference; 5 months ago
dont know it
Rep:
?
I'd guess so, and lack of cost / ease would be the advantage
I'm a bit confused tbh. My textbook says lack of cost is an advantage but then as a disadvantage it says it can be costly to separate the groups into different strata.
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Yes. In your textbook you'll have a list of advantages/disadvantages for every sampling method. If you pick one of them then you can't go wrong so I recommend learning them all off-by-heart.
Yep 100%.
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
is this edexcel
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by sfaraj)
is this edexcel
Yeah.
dont know it
Rep:
?

EDIT: Of course the advantage/disadvantage has to make sense in the context of the question.
But the book also says 2 different things unless I'm misinterpreting it. For one advantage of quota sampling it says inexpensive then a disadvantage is that it can be costly to divide the population into groups.
sfaraj
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yeah.
old or new spec? im doing the old one and i didnt know we had to know these
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm a bit confused tbh. My textbook says lack of cost is an advantage but then as a disadvantage it says it can be costly to separate the groups into different strata.
Again the question isn't clear but if I was doing it I'd make sure the advantages/disadvantages I picked made sense in the context of the question (maybe that doesn't matter). All they've done is decided to pick 50 females and 50 females which doesn't suggest any cost/time involved. Quick/inexpensive is an advantage of quota sampling and it makes sense in this context.

I really dislike this part of stats...
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
But the book also says 2 different things unless I'm misinterpreting it. For one advantage of quota sampling it says inexpensive then a disadvantage is that it can be costly to divide the population into groups.
That's because it depends how you perform the quota sampling. Some quota sampling methods would be expensive while others would be inexpensive. That's why it's listed as an advantage and a disadvantage.

I'm looking at the mark scheme for this question (it's from a practice paper if you weren't aware):

Advantages – two from:
• easy to get sample size
• inexpensive
• fast
• can be stratified if required.

Disadvantages – one from:
• not random
• could be biased.
dont know it
Rep:
?
(Original post by sfaraj)
old or new spec? im doing the old one and i didnt know we had to know these
New specification.
dont know it
Rep:
?
That's because it depends how you perform the quota sampling. Some quota sampling methods would be expensive while others would be inexpensive. That's why it's listed as an advantage and a disadvantage.

I'm looking at the mark scheme for this question (it's from a practice paper if you weren't aware):

Advantages – two from:
• easy to get sample size
• inexpensive
• fast
• can be stratified if required.

Disadvantages – one from:
• not random
• could be biased.
Bit confused tbh. So in which context would a valid disadvantage be that it's costly?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Bit confused tbh. So in which context would a valid disadvantage be that it's costly?
Let's say you needed a quota sample of people in London based on culture/religion. There are many different groups to choose from so if you need say 10 people from every culture then this could be costly and take time.

If your two groups and just male and female then the opposite would be true i.e. cheap/quick.
dont know it
Rep:
?
Let's say you needed a quota sample of people in London based on culture/religion. There are many different groups to choose from so if you need say 10 people from every culture then this could be costly and take time.

If your two groups and just male and female then the opposite would be true i.e. cheap/quick.
Ahh that makes sense. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads