Portsmouth vs essex Watch

serenam00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I am a possible new student in one of these two English universities. I am not from the UK, and I don't really know what to expect from this experience and it is also for this reason that I'd like to ask to somebody who knows both these universities, which are the pros and cons? I honestly need to say that so far Portsmouth has fascinated me the most!!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by serenam00)
Hi guys, I am a possible new student in one of these two English universities. I am not from the UK, and I don't really know what to expect from this experience and it is also for this reason that I'd like to ask to somebody who knows both these universities, which are the pros and cons? I honestly need to say that so far Portsmouth has fascinated me the most!!
i would choose Portsmouth too. not for academic reasons but socially. i personally wouldn't firm any uni without visiting first, especially essex.
serenam00
Rep:
?
thanks for your reply! I would have liked to visit the unis first but I couldn't. Portsmouth gave me this impression of a small and cute city, where everything is close and well connected. Do you know if Is it so?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i would choose Portsmouth too. not for academic reasons but socially. i personally wouldn't firm any uni without visiting first, especially essex.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i think it's decent for student nightlife, but i wouldn't describe Portsmouth as anything remotely like the Garden of Eden... do you have any other unis that you could consider?!
thanks for your reply! I would have liked to visit the unis first but I couldn't. Portsmouth gave me this impression of a small and cute city, where everything is close and well connected. Do you know if Is it so?
serenam00
Rep:
?
I got in Portsmouth, Essex (Colchester) and Brunel. the last one doesn't really give me any emotion tbh.
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i think it's decent for student nightlife, but i wouldn't describe Portsmouth as anything remotely like the Garden of Eden... do you have any other unis that you could consider?!
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i think your instincts are very good tbh. Portsmouth is the best choice if you can't visit. It's a working class city but is not dangerous at all (just don't leave your bicycle unchained) unlike London... my colleague went to Portsmouth and she's doing really well in her career
I got in Portsmouth, Essex (Colchester) and Brunel. the last one doesn't really give me any emotion tbh.
MusicGamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi! I’m a current second year student at Portsmouth! So if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Lots of things in Portsmouth are very close. All the university buildings are within a 10/15 minute walk of each other. It only takes about 10/15 minutes walk to get to Gunwharf keys where lots of shops and restraints are. Commercial road is very close to the station and some of the uni buildings. The student accommodation is spread out throughout the city and is within walking distance of the university buildings.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Cocoxv
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am studying at Essex myself and have had two friends from Portsmouth that have decided to drop out due to ‘how boring it is socially’ & ‘not good with content teaching’. Essex is a great uni and a lot bigger than Portsmouth people wise so if you want the real uni experience I’d suggest Essex.
University of Portsmouth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi serenam00

So glad you are thinking about joining Portsmouth University. It's a really great place to live, you are right in saying that its small and everything is close and well connected. It is also cute, but mostly quirky. We have some lovely restaurants and cafe's and the community feel here is great, most students don't explore out of the city centre until their second year - but I would thoroughly recommend just taking a walk around to experience everything. We are also only an hour and a half away from London which is great for transport links and just for the odd day out!

As a university itself we are doing very well, we gained a gold award for the Teaching Excellence Framework which is mostly rated on student experience and how happy they were on their course and with the University in general.

I was a student here myself and graduate 2 years ago, I loved my experience at Portsmouth and wouldn't have changed it for anything. Its opened up a lot of opportunities for me and many employers regard Portsmouth students highly.

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any other questions.

Alex - UoP Rep
Ysuhail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi, I just applied to Portsmouth through clearing, can you give me a little insight about the university and the city?
University of Portsmouth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Ysuhail)
Hi, I just applied to Portsmouth through clearing, can you give me a little insight about the university and the city?
Hi Ysuhail

That is great news! Fingers crossed for you.

What course have you applied for?

Portsmouth University is situated in the centre of Portsmouth, and all of the university buildings are close by to each other. Depending on what course you are studying you might find yourself in a similar area for your lectures or spread across the different buildings.

We have lots of societies which you can join, they will all be at the freshers fair in the first week of University. You can meet people and see what society most appeals to you. Students like it here because it can feel quite tight knit and you can have friends from a multitude of courses from all over the world.

Our lecturers are really helpful, they will go above and beyond to make sure you get the best grade. You will be assigned a personal tutor who you can go to for anything, either academic or personal. We also have a variety of support services available to all students, such as the maths cafe and academic skills unit.

The city itself is quite small but there is lots to do. It's described as a quirky seaside city, we have a great social scene. I loved being a student here because it is very much a student city, everywhere you look there are students. We have some really great local businesses here who create a real community feel. Everything is within walking distance here.

Southsea is also lovely (area of Portsmouth), this is where you'll find lots of independent bars and restaurants and amazing cafes. We also have Gunwarf Quays which is an outlet shopping centre with cinema and bowling and lots of restaurants on the harbour front.

What kind of information did you want in particular, if you let me know I can tell you more!

Alex - UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Portsmouth
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    Sat, 9 Nov '19
    Sat, 30 Nov '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads