The Student Room Group

Driving with friend in opened boot in car park - For like 10 seconds

So my mate wanted to sit in my boot while I drove at literally 5 MPH. In the Sainsbury’s car park. Now me being paranoid saw a Sainsbury’s employee about 10 minutes after but he kinda started staring at us the whole time and I know there are cameras in that car park.

Can I get any penalty points for driving with my mate in the opened boot for literally 10 seconds in a car park?

Really paranoid and kinda regret it
Reply 1
Private property so no. Bloody stupid thing to do though.
Reply 2
Yh jt was pretty stupid. Some people say car parks are considered public roads as public people drive in them. I kinda got forced to do it but I stopped instantly
Reply 3
Original post by katf
Private property so no. Bloody stupid thing to do though.

It's a public road.

Original post by jin5536
So my mate wanted to sit in my boot while I drove at literally 5 MPH. In the Sainsbury’s car park. Now me being paranoid saw a Sainsbury’s employee about 10 minutes after but he kinda started staring at us the whole time and I know there are cameras in that car park.

Can I get any penalty points for driving with my mate in the opened boot for literally 10 seconds in a car park?

Really paranoid and kinda regret it

Yep you're gonna lose your licence and get fined a few hundred thousand.

Lol, don't worry.
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
Yep you're gonna lose your licence and get fined a few hundred thousand.

Lol, don't worry.

The land is owned by sainsburys, a private company, not by the state.
Reply 5
But, I have a feeling, one of the employees was calling the police as I saw one of the trolley guys come out and he started taking pics of us while we was parked up and he was on the phone to someone. And I doubt he was taking pics of my car because he liked it because I drive a 2012 one series haha
Reply 6
If you’re gonna do stuff like that make sure the car park is empty and definitely make sure Sainsbury’s is shut. My dad used to drive like a maniac in Tesco’s car park on a Sunday, I even took the wheel a few times and this was before 17.
Reply 7
Original post by katf

That's not how the law works in relation to motoring - a public place is anywhere the public can access, therefore the RTA applies in private car parks.

If it didn't, you wouldn't be obliged to hold insurance to drive within a car park.
Reply 8
Original post by jin5536
But, I have a feeling, one of the employees was calling the police as I saw one of the trolley guys come out and he started taking pics of us while we was parked up and he was on the phone to someone. And I doubt he was taking pics of my car because he liked it because I drive a 2012 one series haha

Bet you go to prison
Original post by katf

Unless the land has gates, preventing public access, the rules of the closest road still apply (such as the speed limit of the closest road, etc).

Do your research before chatting garbage.
As for the OP, just had a chat with an officer. He said he’ll be at yours in 10, get the kettle on
Reply 11
Employees at sainsbury's probably have much better things to be doing that calling the police on someone for driving with someone in their boot...

However is there anything you did before this to draw attention to yourself or annoy the staff like being loud and obnoxious. Cause that then may cause them to try and get you off the premises...

Either way - It is extremely unlikely you cannot get any points for this unless you were caught by an officer at the time of you doing this.
The worst case scenario is you get banned from sainsbury's again very very unlikely...

Quick Reply

Latest