How do/did you people learn all the mechanisms, reactions and equations?

Watch
Presto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please share your techniques
I understand them but struggle to remember and some peope suggested that I write them after reading them and that was helping but there are too many to do ALL of them like that :(
Also this q is directed to year 13 students but everyone else feel free to share your technique too!
anonymoussse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. don't sleep at this time
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i just did exam questions.
learn some AS mechanisms 1st (only like 1-2) . not with 100% memory
then do exam questions straight away
make sure u know the polarity of each reactant first (e.g why do carbonyls undergo nucleophilic addition? - the nucleophile is attracted to the carbon deficient C)
this helps tons
username4421408
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I got an A* in OCR A chemistry last year and I think remembering them all helped me a lot in regards to organic. The ways I remembered it were:
- repeatedly drawing out the synthesis map(s) (these should be in your textbook) from as much memory as I could, once I couldn’t remember anymore I’d finish off using the textbook

- flashcards in every single possible reaction type/ mechanism

- getting friends to test me on the synthesis map and recalling what happens on every reaction/mechanism from memory, and then I’d test them after

- put the synthesis map as my lock screen (or just stick it on your wall)

It takes some time to remember it all but by the time exams came I could remember every reaction pretty much off the top of my head
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ggxsywes)
the nucleophile is attracted to the carbon deficient C)
If the carbon is carbon deficient, what does that make it?

I know what you meant
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Presto)
I understand them but struggle to remember and some peope suggested that I write them after reading them and that was helping but there are too many to do ALL of them like that
Also this q is directed to year 13 students but everyone else feel free to share your technique too!
An average teenager knows approximately 3,000 words. *

How did he/she learn them?

Identification, use and repetition (reinforcement)

*https://www.twinword.com/blog/how-ma...e-person-know/
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
If the carbon is carbon deficient, what does that make it?

I know what you meant
OHHH LOL i meant electron deficient.

it's an electrophile, with a partially positive charge and low electron density.

i dont know if im underestimating organic chemistry but i find it soo easy. physical is sooo much harder
u need to continuously cram physical so u dont forget, (e.g colours and equations like the Henderson-hasselbalch one) but with organic chemistry there r some things u don't forget even after months! (reaction mechanisms and why they happen)
Last edited by anonymoussse; 1 year ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Presto)
I understand them but struggle to remember and some peope suggested that I write them after reading them and that was helping but there are too many to do ALL of them like that
Look for natural groups and patterns to make it all more manageable. Often things which look initially unrelated share some features which allow you to slot them into your existing knowledge. However, in a lot of cases, it's just a question of boring old learning of facts.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ggxsywes)
i dont know if im underestimating organic chemistry but i find it soo easy. physical is sooo much harder
but with organic chemistry there r some things u don't forget even after months! (reaction mechanisms and why they happen)
I found (and find) organic to 'just make sense', once I understood how to identify which type of reaction would take place (at A level, at least).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
62.69%
I don't have everything I need (72)
37.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise