LittleFlowrs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ll be starting Geography at Bournemouth University in 2020 after a gap year.
Just asking current students what the quality of teaching is like for the course, facilities and general atmosphere. As I’d like to work in the sustainability sector as a professional role eventually, perhaps a sustainability or environmental consultant - either that or humanitarian projects abroad.

I read a different post about studying Geography at BU dated roughly 10 years back by a student who ended up transferring to a different uni, complaining that the lecture qualities for Geography were very poor and little to no pure Geography was actually taught. Plus some other fairly major issues.

I’m kinda set on BU, so it would be disappointing to hear if these standards were still low for the course, but since Geography is my passion and life, I will have to change universities if Bournemouth is still lacking.
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

Nice to hear you are so passionate about your subject. You can read about all of the Royal Geographical Society accredited Geography course content on the course page. Under the course details section you will find a year-by-year breakdown of the units, as well as the programme specification document which goes into a lot of detail about the skills the course will equip you with, which has been recently updated. You can also find the contact details of your programme leader if you have any specific questions about the course.

For some up to date feedback on student's opinions of the course, I recommend the Unistats website. It uses data from the National Student Survey which is answered by students in their final year on the course. There you can see that currently the student satisfaction is at 83% overall. You could send a message to @geographers_bu on Instagram to ask some current students for the honest opinions as well, and see what they're getting up to. There's also the Official Bournemouth Geography Twitter and a student Blog about a first year field trip.

It's also worth mentioning that the university has changed a LOT in the last 5 years, let alone the last 10. We have a new student center and Fusion building, with more construction of a big new teaching facility due to complete in 2020. I get the sense that the university is trying a lot to adapt to the current needs of their students and is changing all the time, both the site and the courses.

I hope you find some reassurance that things have changed since then, and are still super excited to join us in 2020.

- Laura, student ambassador
Geo_bum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LittleFlowrs)
I read a different post about studying Geography at BU dated roughly 10 years back by a student who ended up transferring to a different uni, complaining that the lecture qualities for Geography were very poor and little to no pure Geography was actually taught. Plus some other fairly major issues.
The Uni changed its geography programme a couple of years ago.

Also, currently the Unistats website gives the scores for 2018 (83% overall satisfaction), but the new NSS scores for 2019 are out as well (check at officeforstudents.co.uk), where BSc Geography at Bournemouth University actually got very high marks for overall student satisfaction (93%), as well as quality of teaching, organization and management and learning opportunities.
Last edited by Geo_bum; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads